Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
HA! I took a break from moving just in time to see that you're already starting to burn the place down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Evo, look over here. I got chocolate for s'mores. I'm willing to share if we can just throw a chair or two on the fire, so's we can cook em.

Moonbear said:
Okay, I think she's gone now.

*grabs some of the wood from turbo's shack and starts stacking it for the bonfire*

Okay, G01, got those matches?

I'll bring the marshmallows.
That's not a shack! That's an elegant old turn of the century boathouse that needs a little TLC.

We haven't burnt down anything...yet. :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for G01 to get here with the matches.

Don't worry, we won't do a fish fry. I was thinking more along the lines of a pig roast. Danger can bring the beer, turbo can bring the salsa, and MIH is in charge of the BBQ sauce. Maybe we can round up a band from among our members with musical talents. I'll save some of the flat planks from that shack to put together a dance floor.

turbo-1 said:
That's not a shack! That's an elegant old turn of the century boathouse that needs a little TLC.

Yep, TLC...Torch-Lighted Combustion. :biggrin:

Evo! Moonie's going to burn down your summer get-away home.:eek:

I'm almost positive I've seen that shack.

Mallignamius said:
I'm almost positive I've seen that shack.
Hint: It's at the north end of a fairly remote pond. There are a few little camps a hundred yards away, but that's all. No other structures on the pond.

Huckleberry said:
That shcak is a shambles. You would be better off pitching a tent and using the home for firewood. Or you could strap a bunch of boards and beams together to make a raft.

The creaky old paddle pushes the raft across the placid pond. A campfire crackles and pops, spitting crimson sparks like kamikaze pilots crashing into the sandy shore. Crickets chirp and sing like prophets, praising the silvery stars, pinpricks of promises collected in the cool, black sky and splashed like fire upon the placid pond.

Welcome home Evo!
Wow, huck, you make it sound so nice. :!)

Moonbear said:
Yep, TLC...Torch-Lighted Combustion. :biggrin:
:smile:

I'm taking a break, my back is giving out. Nobody better even consider torching my summer home. :devil:

I know I haven't moved in 14 years, but I don't remember moving being this tedious. I also realized without my china cabinet I have absolutely no place for my china and crystal. I never actually use the stuff, I just like looking at it. It reminds me of when I had no cares in the world and could buy frivolous things.

On a positive note, while emptying my closet, I found The Evo Child's life long best friend "catty", a stuffed snow leopard I bought her when she was 2. She slept with it every night until she was 16. I have him prominently displayed at the new apartment and so far everyone that has been there has shouted out "CATTY!" when they saw him. Ok, so only The Evo Child and my ex-husband have been there, but that's still everyone. Yes, I'm a bit out of it right now. I need sleep.

Last edited:
The last 10% of the 'stuff' takes up 1/3 of the moving time to deal with too.

(PSST---I think they put the 'cabin' up on ebay)

Evo said:
HA! I took a break from moving just in time to see that you're already starting to burn the place down.

Oh no they arn't.

*walks up with 6 fire extinguishers strapped to my back and the nozzles shaped to look like I'm holding two guns.*

Not if I can help it.

rewebster said:
The last 10% of the 'stuff' takes up 1/3 of the moving time to deal with too.
I figured I would have the movers move the furniture and i would pack and move the rest. Except last night I slipped on wet grass and I believe I broke my arm at the elbow. There was a loud cracking noise and when I tried to move my arm with my other hand, I could hear and feel the bones moving.

I decided not to go to the emergency room because I'd already had such a harrowing day. I'm to the doctor in a couple of hours. I'm trying to figure out how to get this turtleneck sweater off.

(PSST---I think they put the 'cabin' up on ebay)
:devil:

Ouch - you poor thing, stuff does seem to happen to you!
I have only ever broken a toe and that ********* hurt a lot.

Evo said:
I figured I would have the movers move the furniture and i would pack and move the rest. Except last night I slipped on wet grass and I believe I broke my arm at the elbow. There was a loud cracking noise and when I tried to move my arm with my other hand, I could hear and feel the bones moving.

I decided not to go to the emergency room because I'd already had such a harrowing day. I'm to the doctor in a couple of hours. I'm trying to figure out how to get this turtleneck sweater off.

:devil:

what a pain in the humerus!

Ouch. I know how you feel. A few years back I broke my left elbow, then my left wrist, then my left pinky. I hope ur OK. It really really does hurt.

This elbow was broken was I was 2 and healed wrong, so it was always on the verge of breaking again. This is a really bad time for this to happen.

Where are pics of the new pad?

Good luck, Evo! :smile:

Evo said:
A loud crack noise!? Either a break or dislocation.

Where is EC? Did you call her? Can you drive? Does the doctor have an X-ray machine or will you have to go to the radiologist/hospital for an X-ray anyway?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
Ouch, Evo. Sorry to hear about your elbow. Sounds like a full arm cast for 6 weeks, unfortunately. Is it your writing/mousing hand? They shouldn't have to imobilize the wrist, hopefully, so you should still be able to write and use a PC.

Best wishes!

Good luck, Evo.

Evo said:
I'm to the doctor in a couple of hours. I'm trying to figure out how to get this turtleneck sweater off.

drumroll...

and the verdict is...(?)

(...and not about the sweater)

Of course, most of us expected nothing less then a broken bone or stiches, either befor, durring or shortly after the move. Evo dosn't do anything, without putting her entire self into it.
Note: pull the good arm out first, then useing the good arm, pull it over the head from the good side. Lastly slip it off the bad arm. Hope it feels better soon.

Hope you are OK, Evo. Maybe there will be a cute doc to patch you up! :!)

Oweee! Hope you still have a good hand left for typing when you're done! Mend up quickly!

And no roast pig for math jeans after extinguishing our nice, roaring bonfire. There's a goody-two-shoes in every bunch, isn't there? :-p

hypatia said:
Note: pull the good arm out first, then useing the good arm, pull it over the head from the good side. Lastly slip it off the bad arm. Hope it feels better soon.
Yep, that's how I got it off, with a little bit of screaming.

They took x-rays, but the radiologist wasn't there to read them, I have broken this arm before and my doctor said it looks like a fracture, so I'm scheduled to see an orthopedic surgeon Wednesday morning. What's funny is that before the accident, my arm was crooked from the first break, only noticeble if I held my arm straight, it looked like a bird's wing. Now my arm is straight. :rolleyes: Hanging limp and swollen, but straight. I'm in a sling right now.

I am really so very sorry, hopefully they will just need to cast it.

hypatia said:
I am really so very sorry, hopefully they will just need to cast it.
Awww, thnaks hypatia, I'm sure it will be fine. They don't want to repeat what they did to my fingers. Damn Dr Death.

Oh my, poor Evo! I hope you feel better soon.

It wouldn't have taken a psychic to predict this. :biggrin:

What do we have to do to ensure the Evo does not get injured? Encasing her in foam seems mild enough, but if you have to take her feelings into consideration, it might seem a bit cruel after 10-15 minutes or so... Can we whack her on the head so that she is disoriented, and then reprogram her? Seems a bit 1984 to me...

I'm very sorry you are hurt Evo. The bright side is that you should have lots of company at your new place while your arm mends. All your things will be moved and you won't have to lift anything heavier than a glass of iced-tea.

Huckleberry said:
I'm very sorry you are hurt Evo. The bright side is that you should have lots of company at your new place while your arm mends. All your things will be moved and you won't have to lift anything heavier than a glass of iced-tea.
News of the injury spread like wildfire, no one I know can be reached. :frown:

I still have boxes to pack, move and unpack.

(maybe---everyone is at work?)

rewebster said:
(maybe---everyone is at work?)
That could be and school also. Hmmmpf.

time to get out that 'special box' of Evo bribing techniques for use only in dire circumstances