MIT graduates cannot power a light bulb with a battery

In summary, the students in the first video thought that they could not light a bulb using a battery and a wire because they did not have a havard degree. The students in the second video demonstrated that they could light a bulb using a battery and a wire by connecting one terminal of the bulb directly to one terminal of the battery.
Zero-shift

Now, to be honest, I can comfortably light it with TWO piece of wires and not ONE.
So , was it a trick question?

Technically, those are havard grads.

Please weigh in.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the point of this?

Zero-shift said:
Now, to be honest, I can comfortably light it with TWO piece of wires and not ONE.
you saw at 2:00 a kid do it with one wire... so nyaahhhh .

Likes phinds
Zero-shift said:
I can comfortably light it with TWO piece of wires and not ONE
Yes. But we can connect one terminal of the bulb directly to one terminal of the battery like a guy did at 1:58...
Edit:Oh.. Jim already said that while I was typing.

Likes Anthony Volkman and Joppy
Zero-shift said:
So , was it a trick question?
Maybe.. The question was "Do you think you can light a bulb using a battery and a wire?". Even if I could complete the circuit with just one wire (like a guy did at 1:58), I can't be sure if the bulb will light up. If the battery voltage is not sufficient, it won't light up even though the circuit is complete.

Kind of reminds me of all those videos where people circulate petitions to ban "dihydrogen monoxide", citing things like it's the main component in acid rain, found in heavy industrial solvents, removed from tumors of cancer patients, can cause severe burns in its gaseous state etc. and everyone rushes to sign up for it.

cnh1995 said:
Maybe.. The question was "Do you think you can light a bulb using a battery and a wire?". Even if I could complete the circuit with just one wire (like a guy did at 1:58), I can't be sure if the bulb will light up. If the battery voltage is not sufficient, it won't light up even though the circuit is complete.

If it's just a basic incandescent filament it will light up; it just might be extremely dull (assuming that there's at least some voltage across the battery terminals)

OmCheeto said:
I can do it with no wires.

Honestly that was the exact same thing I was thinking of watching the video!

Without knowing for sure the majors of the students, it is tough to know if this is a big deal or not...though I did watch long enough for an ME to say she couldn't do it...and weep a little.

Likes cnh1995 and billy_joule
it's a psychology demonstration not a science one
kids expect honesty
hand them a 120 volt bulb and a 1.5 volt battery
and they assume it's an honest question, "Can you complete a circuit" ... or "Can this this battery possibly light that bulb"

Take a look at the comments on the youtube site.
It's kinda sad because the responses to the video show a baser side of human behavior, to build one's self up by tearing down others
youtube.com/watch?v=aIhk9eKOLzQ&feature=youtu.be
one commenter observed the bulbs had Edison bases so presumably are 120 volt lamps and can't be lit with a 1.5 volt battery
Most of the rest were derogatory toward the grads many gleefully so.
(...I wonder of the kid at 1:58 pulled that flashlight bulb out of his 'typical engineer's cluttered pocket ' ? ...)

"The real "haves" are they who can acquire freedom, self-confidence, and even riches without depriving others of them. They acquire all of these by developing and applying their potentialities.
On the other hand, the real "have nots" are they who cannot have aught except by depriving others of it. They can feel free only by diminishing the freedom of others, self-confident by spreading fear and dependence among others, and rich by making others poor." eric hoffer

Sadler teaches educators-to-be
http://scholar.harvard.edu/psadler/home
Dr. Sadler has taught Harvard’s courses for students preparing to be science teachers and for the next generation of science professors. As F.W. Wright Senior Lecturer in Astronomy, he carries on Harvard’s oldest undergraduate course in science, Celestial Navigation. He directs the CfA’s Science Education Department,...
he's made other videos demonstrating failures of educators

and he has a point , you need to discover and uproot students' preconceived notions.
As evidenced by another comment to first video 'Those were AC bulbs that can't be lit by a DC .'
he got an award for researching that
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/sed/staff/Sadler/articles/Psych%20Models.pdf

Last edited:
Likes mheslep and OmCheeto
jim hardy said:
Take a look at the comments on the youtube site.
It's kinda sad because the responses to the video show a baser side of human behavior, to build one's self up by tearing down others
This has become the norm on the internet in general. Youtube can promise results when looking for this type of behavior. Sad. I can't decide if it is since a lot of people like to see themselves have some input or if they are just jerks. As usual, the biggest mouths have the least to say in terms of substance.

Likes OmCheeto
Averagesupernova said:
As usual, the biggest mouths have the least to say in terms of substance.

That's been my experience with people, both on and off of the internet. My theory is; "Bad potty training".

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.
--- Bertrand Russell​

ps. I read the entire wiki entry on "Eric Hoffer", which is why I eventually pushed the "like" button on Jim's post, as most everything else just depressed the hell out of me.

Likes CalcNerd, Fervent Freyja and jim hardy
Yes cheeto, large mouths with little to contribute definitely goes beyond the internet and into regular life. I wonder if they get worse on the net though since they feel anonymous. That Bertrand Russell quote is very true. I always wonder if I am doing something and I have no doubts that I MUST be missing something. It is a good thing to question your moves in life. Good and new things often come from questioning the status quo.

Likes mheslep, analogdesign, cnh1995 and 1 other person
Averagesupernova said:
Good and new things often come from questioning the status quo.

Especially internal status quo.
I remember when somewhere in the latest "Ceres" thread, I discovered that pe did ≠ mgh.

It reminded me of that moment in "The Matrix", when Oracle said to Neo; "Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?"

hmmm...
Perhaps this thread should be moved to the "Biology and Medical" forum.

OmCheeto said:
ps. I read the entire wiki entry on "Eric Hoffer", which is why I eventually pushed the "like" button on Jim's post, as most everything else just depressed the hell out of me.
You would i think like his writing

i started with "The Passionate State of Mind" a collection of aphorisms. Some are immediately funny , some take weeks to figure out.
see also

old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
You would i think like his writing

i started with "The Passionate State of Mind" a collection of aphorisms. Some are immediately funny , some take weeks to figure out.

old jim
Ha!
I also checked out his quotes.
Some immediately struck me as profound, while others, well, as you say, would take me weeks to figure out.

As with all people who live in different times, places, and/or circumstances, their perspectives are always a bit skewed.
And hence, fun to figure out.

ps. I've never been a political historian, so I never knew much about Karl Marx, but when I saw what Hoffer said about him, I almost died laughing. Especially when I found out it was true.

I vaguely remember a TV interview with Eric Sevareid
and thinking at the time "what a smart and entertaining man !"

i think I've found it on youtube , added it to my prior post
havent watched it yet myself but look forward to seeing it from perspective of an old guy now instead of a young one

Likes OmCheeto
  • Q: How many engineering students does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: One, but the rest of the class copies the report.

• Q: How many first year civil engineering students does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: None. That's a second year subject.

1. Why can't MIT graduates power a light bulb with a battery?

While MIT graduates are known for their intelligence and problem-solving abilities, this particular statement is a false and misleading stereotype. MIT graduates are more than capable of powering a light bulb with a battery, as they possess the knowledge and skills to do so.

2. Is there any truth to the statement that MIT graduates cannot power a light bulb with a battery?

No, there is no truth to this statement. It is simply a misconception and stereotype about the capabilities of MIT graduates. In fact, many MIT graduates have gone on to make groundbreaking contributions to fields such as engineering and technology, which require a deep understanding of power and electricity.

3. What skills do MIT graduates possess that make them capable of powering a light bulb with a battery?

MIT graduates possess a wide range of skills, including a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. They also have hands-on experience with designing and building various electrical circuits, making them more than qualified to power a simple light bulb with a battery.

4. Can anyone power a light bulb with a battery, or does it require special training?

While powering a light bulb with a battery may seem like a simple task, it does require a certain level of knowledge and understanding of electricity. However, with proper training and education, anyone can learn how to do it, including MIT graduates.

5. Why is it important to dispel stereotypes about the capabilities of MIT graduates?

It is important to dispel stereotypes about the capabilities of MIT graduates because they are not only false and misleading, but they also undermine the achievements and potential of these individuals. MIT graduates are highly skilled and talented individuals who have the ability to make significant contributions to society and should not be limited by false stereotypes.