Modeling survival with a differential equation

In summary, the problem involves a health club that initially accepts 300 members and will accept new members at a rate of 10 per month. The fraction of members still enrolled t months from their initial visit is given by the function f(t)= e-t/20. To determine the number of people enrolled 15 months from now, the differential equation dP/dt= 10 (inflow) - ? is used, where P represents members. By using the fact that 1 - f(t) represents the fraction of people who have left the club, it can be determined that 50% of 300, or 150 people, will still be enrolled after 15 months.
PhysicsInNJ

Homework Statement

A health club is opened, the fraction of members still enrolled t months from their initial visit is given by the function f(t)= e-t/20. the club initially accepts 300 members and will accept new members at a rate of 10 per month. How many people will be enrolled 15 months from now.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember my professor referencing this problem could be done as a differential equation problem instead of a survival/renewal problem (which I can do).

Following the idea of inflow-outflow, I came up with

dP/dt= 10 (inflow) - ?

with P being members

I'm not sure how to take the fraction of people and make that into a rate.
Once I figure that out I could likely solve the differential normally for P.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, here's a hint. If f(t) represents the fraction of people still enrolled after their initial visit, what does 1 - f(t) represent?

PhysicsInNJ said:

Homework Statement

A health club is opened, the fraction of members still enrolled t months from their initial visit is given by the function f(t)= e-t/20. the club initially accepts 300 members and will accept new members at a rate of 10 per month. How many people will be enrolled 15 months from now.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember my professor referencing this problem could be done as a differential equation problem instead of a survival/renewal problem (which I can do).

Following the idea of inflow-outflow, I came up with

dP/dt= 10 (inflow) - ?

with P being members

I'm not sure how to take the fraction of people and make that into a rate.
Once I figure that out I could likely solve the differential normally for P.
Are you saying you do not know what 50% of 300 works out to? That is what you would have if ##f(t) = 0.5## applied to the initial 300.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the rate of change of a variable and the variable itself. It is often used to model natural phenomena, such as the growth or decay of a population or the spread of a disease.

2. How can differential equations be used to model survival?

Differential equations can be used to model survival by incorporating variables such as birth rate, death rate, and population size into the equation. By solving the equation, we can predict how the population will change over time and estimate the likelihood of survival.

3. What are some common models used for survival analysis?

Some common models used for survival analysis include the Gompertz model, the Weibull model, and the Cox proportional hazards model. These models use differential equations to estimate survival probabilities based on factors such as age, gender, and health conditions.

4. How accurate are these models in predicting survival?

The accuracy of these models in predicting survival depends on various factors, such as the quality and quantity of data used to develop the model, the assumptions made in the model, and the complexity of the phenomena being studied. It is important to validate these models with real-world data and to continuously refine them for better accuracy.

5. How can modeling survival with differential equations be applied in the real world?

Modeling survival with differential equations has many practical applications, such as predicting the spread of diseases, forecasting the survival of endangered species, and evaluating the effectiveness of medical treatments. It can also help inform decision-making in healthcare, conservation, and other fields.