Modern Cosmology Dodelson Problem 6.12b (Inflation)

In summary: Keep in mind that the summary should only be a summary and not a detailed solution. So in this case, the summary would be:"In summary, the equation ##4\pi G(\dot \phi)^2=\epsilon a^2 H^2## can be derived by substituting the definition of H and the equations for density and pressure into the main equation and simplifying."
travelingscienceman

Homework Statement

Show that ##4\pi G(\dot \phi)^2=\epsilon a^2 H^2##

Homework Equations

Over dots mean derivative with respect to ##\eta##.
$$\frac{1}{a}\frac{d}{d\eta}=\frac{d}{dt}$$
$$H=\frac{\dot a}{a^2}$$
$$\epsilon=\frac{-\dot H}{aH^2}$$
$$(\frac{\dot a}{a^2})^2=(\frac{da/dt}{a})^2=\frac{8\pi G\rho}{3}$$
$$\frac{\ddot a}{a^3}=\frac{d^2 a/dt^2}{a}=-\frac{4\pi G}{3}(\rho-P)$$
$$\rho=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{d\phi}{dt})^2 + V(\phi)$$
$$P=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{d\phi}{dt})^2 - V(\phi)$$
$$\frac{d\phi}{dt}=\frac{\dot\phi}{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I plug ##\epsilon## into the main equation so I get ##4\pi G(\dot phi)^2=-a \dot H##. Then I find
$$\dot H=\frac{\ddot a a-2\dot a^2}{a^3}$$
$$-a\dot H=\frac{2\dot a^2-\ddot a a}{a^2}=2a^2(\frac{\dot a}{a^2})^2-a^2\frac{\ddot a}{a^3}$$
$$=a^2(\frac{16\pi G}{3}\rho+\frac{4\pi G}{3}(\rho+3P))$$
$$=a^2\frac{4\pi G}{3}(4\rho +\rho+3P)=a^2\frac{4\pi G}{3}(5\rho +3P)$$
$$=a^2\frac{4\pi G}{3}(\frac{5}{2}\frac{\dot\phi^2}{a^2}+5V+\frac{3}{2}\frac{\dot\phi^2}{a^2}-3V)$$
$$=a^2\frac{4\pi G}{3}(4\frac{\dot\phi^2}{a^2}+2V)$$

Which is where I have problems as I cannot simplify things further to get the desired ##4\pi G(\dot \phi)^2##. If the 2V was gone and there was one less factor of ##\dot \phi^2## then I would get the right answer, but I keep coming to this same equation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
travelingscienceman said:
$$ \frac{\ddot a}{a^3}=\frac{d^2 a/dt^2}{a}=-\frac{4\pi G}{3}(\rho-P)$$
##\large \frac{\ddot a}{a^3} \neq \frac{d^2 a/dt^2}{a}## You will need to be careful when relating ##\large \frac{d^2 a}{dt^2}## to ##\ddot a##.

Also, ##\large \frac{d^2 a/dt^2}{a}## ##\neq -\frac{4\pi G}{3}(\rho-P)##. Looks like a typographical error here. Shouldn't the ##-P## be ##+3P##?

Likes travelingscienceman
Thanks for your help once again! I was able to solve it after reevaluating ##\frac{d^2 a}{dt^2}## and got ##\frac{\ddot a a-\dot a^2}{a^3}##.

And yeah it's 3P, messed up typing it in.

travelingscienceman said:
I was able to solve it after reevaluating ##\frac{d^2 a}{dt^2}## and got ##\frac{\ddot a a-\dot a^2}{a^3}##.
Looks good.

1. What is the purpose of inflation in modern cosmology?

Inflation is a theory in modern cosmology that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It is believed to have occurred within the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang and is responsible for the large-scale homogeneity and isotropy of the universe.

2. How does inflation solve the horizon problem?

The horizon problem is the observation that different regions of the universe appear to have the same temperature and properties, even though they are not in causal contact. Inflation solves this problem by proposing that the universe underwent a rapid expansion, allowing these regions to come into contact before separating, thus explaining their similarity.

3. Can inflation explain the flatness problem?

Yes, inflation also provides an explanation for the flatness problem, which is the observation that the universe appears to be extremely flat on a large scale. Inflation proposes that the universe underwent a period of exponential expansion, which would have smoothed out any curvature and resulted in a flat universe.

4. What evidence supports the theory of inflation?

Several pieces of evidence support the theory of inflation, including the homogeneity and isotropy of the universe, the flatness problem, and the existence of the cosmic microwave background radiation. Additionally, observations of the large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of galaxies are consistent with predictions made by inflation.

5. Are there any challenges to the theory of inflation?

While there is strong evidence for inflation, there are also some challenges and open questions. For example, the exact mechanism that caused inflation is still unknown, and there are different theories that attempt to explain it. Additionally, some observations, such as the lack of gravitational waves predicted by inflation, have not yet been confirmed. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may help to address these challenges and further support the theory of inflation.