Modern Physics - Length of infinite well that has an electron

In summary, the conversation is about finding solutions for problems in a physics textbook and solving for the size of a one-dimensional region using the energy levels of a particle in an infinite well. The formula and variables are provided as well as a correction to the solution for the size of the region.
fallen186

Homework Statement

** My book doesn't have any solutions in the back , and I trying to find out if I am doing the problems correctly. My book is Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers by John C. Morrison. If you know anywhere I can find the Answers. I would greatly appreciate it!

The lowest energy level of an electron confined to a one-dimensional region is 1.0 eV. (a) By describing the electron as a particle in an infinite well, find the size of the region.

Homework Equations

Energy levels of particle in an infinite well:
[tex] E=\frac{n^{2}*h^{2}}{8mL^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Formula:
[tex] E=\frac{n^{2}*h^{2}}{8mL^{2}}[/tex]

Variables:
E= 1.0 eV = 1.602e-19 J
n =1
h = 6.626e-34 J*s
m= 9.109e-31 kg
L = ?

[tex] 1.602*10^{-19}J=\frac{(1)^{2}*(6.626*10^{-34}J*s)}{8*(9.109*10^{-31}kg)*(L)^{2}} [/tex]

[tex]L = 7.534*10^{8}m[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a square on your h, so you're getting an answer which is far too large...

1. What is an infinite well in modern physics?

An infinite well, also known as a potential well or square well, is a theoretical concept used in modern physics to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a confined space. In this model, the particle is assumed to be trapped within a finite region, or "well", where the potential energy is constant and infinite outside of the well.

2. How is the length of an infinite well determined for an electron?

The length of an infinite well that contains an electron is determined by the boundaries of the well, which are defined by the potential energy function. The length is typically denoted by the symbol L and is measured in units of distance, such as meters or nanometers.

3. What is the significance of the length of an infinite well in modern physics?

The length of an infinite well is a crucial parameter in the study of quantum mechanics. It affects the energy levels and wave functions of the confined particle, and can be used to calculate important quantities such as the probability of finding the particle at a certain position within the well.

4. Can the length of an infinite well be changed?

In the theoretical model of an infinite well, the length is typically considered to be a fixed value. However, in practical applications, the length can be modified by changing the potential energy function or by physically altering the boundaries of the well.

5. How does the length of an infinite well affect the behavior of an electron?

The length of an infinite well has a direct impact on the energy levels and wave functions of the confined electron. As the length changes, the energy levels of the electron also change, resulting in different probabilities of finding the electron at different positions within the well. Additionally, a shorter well may result in a higher energy electron, while a longer well may result in a lower energy electron.