Modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation for a cylindrical wave guide and the resulting Bessel equations for the interior and vacuum. The speaker is unsure of the boundary conditions and the use of different constants in the vacuum. The other person suggests solving the equation using separation of variables and applying boundary conditions. It is also mentioned that the wave guide may or may not have a PEC body.
krakatoa
Homework Statement
Find the modes of a cylindrical dielectric waveguide of permitivity [tex] \epsilon[/tex] and radious [tex]a[/tex] with [tex]\epsilon > \epsilon_0[/tex] surrounded by vaccum
Relevant Equations
Planar waves in the maxwell ecuations result into:

[tex] ( \nabla_t^2 + (\mu\epsilon\omega^2 - k^2))E_z = 0[/tex]
for waveguides
where:
[tex] \nabla_t F = F_x + F_y [/tex]

Note: imagine z axis along the cylinder
I pretend to use the ecuation twice, once for the interior and another for the vaccum, so if I use the cilindrical coordinates for [tex]\nabla_t^2[/tex] it results in two Bessel equations, one for the interior and another fot the vaccum.
In the vaccum, the fields should experiment a exponential decay, in my book says that for this restriccion I should put (in the vaccum) [tex] k^2 - mu\epsilon\omega^2 [/tex] instead the original constants, but I don't understean why... also I don't understeand what are the boundary conditions to proceed to resolve my bessel's equations.
any help or any similar solved problem?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid I can't be much of a help here but I think in the vacuum the equation would have to be $$(\nabla^2_t+\mu_0\epsilon_0\omega^2)E_z=0$$, that is no term ##k^2E_z## in the vacuum cause that is a dissipative term and vacuum doesn't do dissipation.

Hello,
I pretend to use the equation twice, once for the interior and another for the vacuum, so if I use the cylindrical coordinates for [tex]\nabla_t^2[/tex] it results in two Bessel equations, one for the interior and another for the vacuum.
You didn't mention about the material of your cylindrical wave guide. If it is PEC, you need to calculate the wave inside of the wave guide by boundary condition where [itex]E_t=H_t=0[/itex].

For solving your problem, follow these rules
  1. Write the [itex]\nabla^2 \vec{E}_{z}=(j\omega \mu \sigma-\omega \mu\varepsilon) \vec{E}_{z}=\gamma ^2\vec{E}_{z}[/itex] in cylindrical form
  2. Use sepration of variables to solve the above equation( convert it to Bessel function form just based on r variable)

Likes Delta2
baby_1 said:
You didn't mention about the material of your cylindrical wave guide.
The way I understood it is that there is no material, it is just the dielectric in cylindrical shape, surrounded by vacuum.

Likes baby_1
Dear Delta2,
if cylindrical dielectric wave-guide without the PEC body is assumed the user should calculate the above equation which has been obtained by separation of variables for outside and inside of wave-guide and then connect them via boundary conditions. But I thought that the user is newbie to solve a simple cylindrical dielectric wave-guide which has been surrounded by PEC.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a cylindrical dielectric waveguide?

A cylindrical dielectric waveguide is a type of waveguide used to guide electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves or microwaves, along a cylindrical path. It is made up of a cylindrical core made of a dielectric material, such as plastic or glass, surrounded by a metallic cladding. This design allows for the propagation of electromagnetic waves with minimal loss.

2. What are modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide?

Modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide refer to the different patterns in which electromagnetic waves can propagate through the waveguide. These modes are characterized by a specific combination of electric and magnetic fields and have different frequencies and propagation characteristics.

3. How are modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide classified?

Modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide are classified based on the number of times the electric and magnetic fields change direction around the circumference of the waveguide. The most common modes are the transverse electric (TE) and transverse magnetic (TM) modes, which have no electric and magnetic fields respectively in the direction of propagation. Other modes, such as the hybrid modes, have both electric and magnetic fields in the direction of propagation.

4. What is the dominant mode in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide?

The dominant mode in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide is the mode with the lowest cutoff frequency, which is the frequency at which the waveguide can support propagation of that mode. This mode is typically the TE11 mode, which has the lowest cutoff frequency among all the modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide.

5. How is the propagation of modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide affected by the dimensions of the waveguide?

The propagation of modes in a cylindrical dielectric waveguide is affected by the dimensions of the waveguide, particularly the diameter of the core and the thickness of the cladding. These dimensions determine the cutoff frequency and the number of modes that can propagate through the waveguide. Changing the dimensions can also affect the propagation characteristics, such as the attenuation and dispersion of the modes.