Moment of inertia of a metal plate about three points

In summary, the problem involves determining the moment of inertia of a metal plate that was a square before 1/4th of it was cut off at the origin. The three points, a, b, and c, are ranked in decreasing order based on their distance to the center of mass. The parallel axis theorem is used to restate the problem in simpler terms.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Moment of inertia of a metal plate (center at origin) which was a square before 1/4th of it was cut off (4th quadrant), about three points a)- top leftmost corner in 2nd quadrant b)- origin and c) (where the right-lowest corner used to be in 4th quadrant) ranked in decreasing order

Homework Equations

I=Mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

using my intuition, I figured the order is c<a<b, since more points are farther away from c, then a and then b- but according to parallel axis theorem moment of inertia at b and c should be same...i'm confused how to do this mathematically

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
but according to parallel axis theorem moment of inertia at b and c should be same...
Can you explain this?

I have a feeling you meant to say “a and c should be the same”? If so, your mistake is that the parallel axis theorem must use the center of mass. The CoM is not at the origin.

Start by determining the moment of inertia of the plate before the square was cut off. Determine it for each of the three points. Then determine the moment of inertia of the plate that was cut off. Determine that for each of the three points. Now subtract. The moment of inertia of the plate after the square was cut off is the moment of the plate before the square was cut off, minus the moment of the square that was cut off.

Nathanael said:
Can you explain this?

I have a feeling you meant to say “a and c should be the same”? If so, your mistake is that the parallel axis theorem must use the center of mass. The CoM is not at the origin.
yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing out my mistake

Gene Naden said:
Start by determining the moment of inertia of the plate before the square was cut off. Determine it for each of the three points. Then determine the moment of inertia of the plate that was cut off. Determine that for each of the three points. Now subtract. The moment of inertia of the plate after the square was cut off is the moment of the plate before the square was cut off, minus the moment of the square that was cut off.
Excellent! Thanks a lot

Moment of inertia is additive, so what Gene says is true. But, if we’re only asked to rank the three points in descending order, then we don’t need to do all that work.

Your intuition (and answer) is correct. The parallel axis theorem can be used to restate the problem as, “order a,b,c by their distance to the center of mass,” which is simpler.

Nathanael said:
Moment of inertia is additive, so what Gene says is true. But, if we’re only asked to rank the three points in descending order, then we don’t need to do all that work.

Your intuition (and answer) is correct. The parallel axis theorem can be used to restate the problem as, “order a,b,c by their distance to the center of mass,” which is simpler.
Certainly, I understand it much better now. Thank you.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as angular mass or rotational inertia.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a metal plate?

The moment of inertia of a metal plate is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be.

How is the moment of inertia of a metal plate about three points calculated?

The moment of inertia of a metal plate about three points is calculated by using the parallel axis theorem. This states that the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to the original axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the original axis plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

Why is the moment of inertia important in engineering?

The moment of inertia is important in engineering because it helps to determine the amount of torque required to rotate a metal plate about a given axis. It is also used to calculate the deflection and stress of structural components and to design machines and mechanisms.

Is the moment of inertia the same for all three points on a metal plate?

No, the moment of inertia will differ for each point on a metal plate. This is because the distance from each point to the axis of rotation will vary, which affects the moment of inertia calculation.