Multiple regression and Time Series

In summary, choosing to "Fit Intercept" in Minitab can help improve the accuracy of your regression model by accounting for any underlying trend in the data.
sony
Hi,

I'm in a college statistics course where I'm doing an assignement with Minitab.

I have a one month time series of electricity use (hour intervals).

I've attempted to remove the season effect from weekdays by index multiplication so all I'm left with (hopefully) is the effect from day/night, possible trend, og random variation.

By facing this with multiple regression I've created dummy variables for every hour in the day, and observation number as dependant variables.

So my question here is: In minitab you can choose to "FIT INTERCEPT" in regression options,

exactly what qualitative implications does this have for my model? IF i force it to fit intercept (introduce a CONSTANT to the regression equation) do i then "create" a deterministic trend??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you choose to "Fit Intercept" in regression options, this means that you are including a constant term in the regression equation. This can help account for any underlying trend that is present in your data and can also be used to adjust the intercept of the regression line so that it better fits the data. The constant term can also help to reduce the error in your prediction by accounting for any residual variance that is not explained by the other terms included in the model. By using the constant term, you are essentially creating a deterministic trend in your model.

Related to Multiple regression and Time Series

What is multiple regression?

Multiple regression is a statistical technique used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and two or more independent variables. It allows researchers to examine the impact of multiple variables on a single outcome.

What are the assumptions of multiple regression?

There are several assumptions of multiple regression, including linearity, normality, homoscedasticity, and independence of errors. Linearity assumes that there is a linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables. Normality assumes that the data is normally distributed. Homoscedasticity assumes that the variances of the errors are equal. Independence of errors assumes that the errors are not correlated with each other.

What is time series analysis?

Time series analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze and forecast data points collected over time. It involves identifying patterns and trends in the data, as well as understanding the underlying factors that influence those patterns. Time series analysis is often used in economics, finance, and other fields to make predictions about future trends.

What are the main components of time series data?

There are three main components of time series data: trend, seasonality, and random variation. Trend refers to long-term changes or patterns in the data. Seasonality refers to fluctuations that occur at regular intervals, such as weekly, monthly, or yearly. Random variation, also known as noise, refers to unpredictable fluctuations in the data that cannot be explained by the trend or seasonality.

What is the difference between cross-sectional and time series data?

Cross-sectional data is collected from different individuals or objects at a single point in time, while time series data is collected from the same individual or object over a period of time. In other words, cross-sectional data compares different groups at a specific moment, while time series data tracks changes within a single group over time.