Naive Calculation of the Age of the Universe

In summary: So, the proper way to calculate the age of the universe is to integrate over the history of the universe:t = d/vwhere ##v## is the recessional velocity of the universe at any given time.
jeffbarrington
I have marked this as high school level, although I am studying an undergraduate general relativity course, and just want to get some basics right.

Whenever I look for a 'cheap and dirty' method of calculation for the age of the universe, with a Hubble constant not changing with time, I am met with:

t = d/v

where I am meant to believe that t is the age of the universe, d is the separation between two galaxies at some great distance apart, and v is their current speed of separation, given by v = H_0d. However, they haven't always been moving at this speed apart from each other; up until now, they have been traveling at a speed < H_0d. Why are these 'derivations' failing to point out this flaw and what is the workaround?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
As you note, this derivation of the age of the universe is naive. That's all there is to it. As you correctly surmise, the naivety in it concerns the recessional velocities being constant. That is to say, the age it nets you is the age you'd get in an universe without dark energy accelerating the expansion and without matter and radiation retarding it. (This is called Milne expansion, btw.)
jeffbarrington said:
However, they haven't always been moving at this speed apart from each other; up until now, they have been traveling at a speed < H_0d.
This bit is incorrect. For most of the history of the universe, comoving observers have been receding from each other at recessional velocities higher than ##H_0d##. It's only since approx. 5Gly ago that the velocities are increasing. See the graph below:
recession velocity history.PNG

As you can see, the initial impulse was very high. During the period of high density, recessional velocities were retarded at a very high rate. Around the 8Gly point, due to continuous dilution of matter and radiation dark energy density started dominating, and recessional velocities begun increasing.

Just to ensure that Jeff understands the meaning of the graph, Vgen stands for the recession rate of a generic galaxy that presently has a recession rate of c, i.e. some galaxy that is somewhere on the Hubble sphere now, at a comoving distance of 14.4 billion light years from us. Due to the accelerated expansion, that galaxy is presently moving through our Hubble sphere from the 'inside'. It came into our 'then' Hubble sphere at t ~ 3.5 billion years.

It's similar to calculating a time t=d/v for a car moving at a varying speed v(t). The proper way is to rephrase the expression into an integral.

Related to Naive Calculation of the Age of the Universe

1. What is the naive calculation of the age of the universe?

The naive calculation of the age of the universe is a simple method of estimating the age of the universe using the Hubble constant, which is the rate at which the universe is expanding.

2. How is the age of the universe calculated using this method?

The age of the universe is calculated by dividing the current size of the observable universe by the Hubble constant.

3. What is the current estimate for the age of the universe using this method?

The current estimate for the age of the universe using this method is approximately 13.8 billion years.

4. Are there any limitations to the naive calculation of the age of the universe?

Yes, there are limitations to this method as it assumes that the expansion rate of the universe has remained constant over time, which may not be accurate.

5. How does the naive calculation of the age of the universe compare to other methods?

The naive calculation is a simplified and less accurate method compared to other techniques such as measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation or using the ages of the oldest stars in the universe.