Are Statements 1 and 2 Logically Equivalent in All Contexts?

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
In summary, the two statements (1) \;\left[\exists x P(x)\right]\Rightarrow M(x) and (2) \forall x \left[P(x)\Rightarrow M(x)\right] are not logically equivalent. The first statement means that if there exists a math major, then they are mad. The second statement means that for every math major, they are mad. This is not the same as saying that all math majors are mad, as the first statement only requires the existence of one math major who is mad, while the second statement requires all math majors to be mad.
issacnewton
Hi

I am little confused about the following statements.

[tex]1) \;\left[\exists x P(x)\right]\Rightarrow M(x)[/tex]

and

[tex]2) \forall x \left[P(x)\Rightarrow M(x)\right][/tex]

Its obvious that they are not logically equivalent. But let's take some examples.

let P(x) = x is majoring in maths
M(x)= x is mad.

so the statement 2 means that all math majors are mad and
statement 1 means that if there is a math major then he is mad

here it looks like they are equivalent in meaning. so what's happening ?

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

I am little confused about the following statements.

[tex]1) \;\left[\exists x P(x)\right]\Rightarrow M(x)[/tex]

and

[tex]2) \forall x \left[P(x)\Rightarrow M(x)\right][/tex]

Its obvious that they are not logically equivalent. But let's take some examples.

let P(x) = x is majoring in maths
M(x)= x is mad.

so the statement 2 means that all math majors are mad and
statement 1 means that if there is a math major then he is mad

here it looks like they are equivalent in meaning. so what's happening ?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here??

1) There exists an x and then P(x) results in M(x)? You say something more about x in order to use these symbols. Like there [tex](\exists x \in A(x) \Rightarrow A(x) \mapsto M(x)[/tex]

Hi Susan

Statement 1 means that " If there exists x such that x is math major then x is mad"
In other words , "If there exists a maths major then he is mad" But wouldn't this have the
same meaning as statement 2 since we can go find if any x is maths major . Then according to
statement 1 , is x is found to be a maths major then x is mad. So all the maths majors are found to be mad...

The first statement says that for some x, P(x) implies M(x). The second statement says that for every x, P(x) implies M(x).

Using your example, the first statement says that some math majors are mad, while the second says that all math majors are mad.

Mark , on second thought , I think I have made a mistake. The first statement is not even a proposition. The x in antecedent in the first statement is a bound variable and the x in the consequent is a free variable. So we can't talk about the truth value of the statement unless we define x in M(x). So what you are saying is not correct either.

What is a logical statement?

A logical statement is a statement that is either true or false. It is composed of one or more propositions connected by logical connectives such as "and", "or", and "not". These statements are used in mathematics, computer programming, and philosophy to express arguments and reasoning.

What is the importance of logical statements?

Logical statements are important because they allow us to reason and make decisions based on evidence and facts. They help us to identify and understand the relationships between different ideas and concepts, and to analyze and evaluate arguments and claims.

What are some common logical fallacies?

Some common logical fallacies include circular reasoning, where the conclusion is restated as a premise; ad hominem attacks, where the person making an argument is attacked instead of the argument itself; and false dichotomy, where only two options are presented as possible when there may be more. These fallacies can make an argument appear valid when it is actually flawed.

How can I improve my logical reasoning skills?

One way to improve logical reasoning skills is to practice identifying and analyzing arguments and logical statements. You can also study logical fallacies and learn how to avoid them in your own reasoning. Critical thinking and problem-solving exercises can also help to improve logical reasoning skills.

Can logical statements be used in everyday life?

Yes, logical statements can be used in everyday life. They can help us to make better decisions, communicate more effectively, and analyze information more critically. For example, when making a major purchase, we can use logical statements to evaluate the pros and cons of different options and make an informed decision.