Need help studying for college placement test?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, if you're not struggling with remembering the material, it might be best to continue on. If you're struggling, it might be best to retake pre-calc or a lower-level math class.
Tyrion101
I will not enter college for another few months, and have basically been going over everything I might need to learn for the college placement test, which for me meant starting at arithmetic and moving on up. Is there any advice for studying for the placement exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your highest level of math in HS? My suggestion is not to over-study. If you've only taken precalc I and then teach yourself enough trig to get past it on the placement exam, you'll screw yourself over when you get to calc. Only study what you've learned in HS.

I don't remember what I took in high-school it was 10 years ago lol. I am however learning what I learned in high-school I think. I've gone a little past that however I think.

In that case, it might benefit you to place in a lower class. I took calculus about four years ago, right after taking the pre-calc sequence and was doing great. But I had to drop calc because of work, got a liberal arts degree in the meantime, and have only now been able to take it again (at the beginning of my physics degree). Remembering all the algebra and trig and such is making calc a lot harder than it should be. I feel like I need to re-take pre-calc, lol. But it's different for everyone... if you're flying through your review then you might be fine. There's usually some room for catch-up in whatever math class you're in, but if you're planning on taking a full courseload it will likely affect your grade. Professors like to throw curveballs on exams.

Should I just stop at the point I feel overwhelmed? I've been trying also to use this as trying to figure out the best way to study for me, which in the past I've not been too good at. I spend an hour or two every day either reviewing new material, or practicing old, I take small breaks when my attention begins to lag.

Related to Need help studying for college placement test?

1. How do I figure out what to study?

Choosing what to study can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can do to help narrow down your choices. First, reflect on your interests and passions. What subjects or topics do you find yourself naturally drawn to? Next, consider your strengths and weaknesses. What are you good at and what areas do you struggle in? Lastly, research different fields and career paths to see which ones align with your interests and strengths.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding what to study?

There are several factors you should take into account when deciding what to study. Some important considerations include your personal interests and passions, future career prospects, job market demand, and your strengths and weaknesses. You should also consider the availability and quality of schools or programs offering the subject you are interested in.

3. How can I determine which field of study is right for me?

To determine which field of study is right for you, it can be helpful to take career assessments or personality tests to identify your strengths and interests. You can also talk to professionals or experts in fields you are considering to gain insight into the day-to-day work and requirements of that field. Additionally, you can try taking introductory courses in different subjects to see which ones you enjoy and excel in.

4. Is it better to study a subject I am passionate about or one that has good job prospects?

This can vary for each individual, but ideally, you should try to find a balance between the two. It is important to study a subject that you are passionate about, as this can lead to a more fulfilling and enjoyable career. However, it is also important to consider the job market demand and potential career opportunities in a particular field.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me decide what to study?

Yes, there are several resources and tools available to help you make a decision on what to study. Some helpful resources include career counselors, career assessments, and online research on different fields and job prospects. Additionally, talking to friends, family, and professionals in various fields can provide valuable insights and advice. It can also be beneficial to attend college fairs or information sessions to learn more about specific schools and programs.