Need information on metallography

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for help with a materials project on metallography. The speaker is searching for a website with relevant information and also asks for clarification on the specific area of metallography needed for the project. The conversation ends with a suggestion to narrow down the topic and a note that the discussion should be in the Homework & Coursework forums.
rigon
Hello!Can anybody help me!I have project in MAterials.If somebody knows any Web site which contains material for metallography.Please write me becouse I can't find nothing important.Thanks to all

Engineering news on Phys.org
A sort of start, although I've an idea you've already visited this one :biggrin: :

http://www.metallography.com/

Is there some particular area of metallography you require information about, something especially in dire need of ... or a general scope of the 'field'?

Strictly speaking, this belongs in the Homework & Coursework forums.

But as a word of advice, "metallography" is an incredibly broad topic - consider narrowing it down some. It's surpising that such a topic would be assigned for a project.

Related to Need information on metallography

1. What is metallography?

Metallography is the study of the physical structure and components of metals and alloys. It involves examining a metal sample under a microscope to analyze its microstructure, which can provide important information about the material's properties and potential applications.

2. Why is metallography important?

Metallography is important for several reasons. It allows scientists and engineers to understand the properties of different metals and alloys, which is crucial for designing and developing new materials for various industries. It also helps in identifying and analyzing material defects and failures, which can impact the safety and reliability of structures and equipment.

3. What techniques are used in metallography?

The most common techniques used in metallography include sample preparation, optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. Sample preparation involves cutting, mounting, grinding, and polishing the metal sample to prepare it for microscopic analysis. Optical microscopy uses visible light to examine the microstructure of the sample, while scanning electron microscopy uses a focused beam of electrons to produce high-resolution images. X-ray diffraction is used to analyze the crystal structure of a material.

4. What information can be obtained from metallography?

Metallography can provide information about the grain size, grain boundaries, phases, and inclusions present in a metal sample. It can also reveal the presence of any defects or imperfections, such as cracks, voids, or inclusions. Additionally, metallography can help determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as hardness, tensile strength, and ductility.

5. What are the applications of metallography?

Metallography has various applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and manufacturing. It is used for quality control and failure analysis of metal components, as well as for research and development of new materials. It is also essential in the fields of metallurgy, material science, and engineering, where a thorough understanding of the microstructure and properties of metals is required.