Nodal Analysis Help, 1 equation 2 unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of V=IR and nodal analysis to solve for unknown variables. Based on the given information, there is only one equation with one unknown variable. The KCL equation for node V1 is shown, but the individual is stuck and needs to find an equation for I in terms of V3. The conversation then introduces the question of finding the current through a 12Ω resistor, assuming the potential at V3 is V3. It is then clarified that the correct equation is I=V3/12 and to watch the sign.
eatsleep
XNB8udn.png

2. V=IR, Nodal analysis

3. Based on where I have drawn my ground, V2=-10V, V1=3I. From this I should just have 1 equation with 1 unknown (if I have done this correct). My KCL equation for node V1 is (V3+10)/8 + (V3-3I)/2 + V3/12. I am stuck, I need to find an equation for I in terms of V3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume the potential at v3 is, well, v3, then what's the current through the 12Ω resistor?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
If you assume the potential at v3 is, well, v3, then what's the current through the 12Ω resistor?

Oh wow, I=V3/12

eatsleep said:
Oh wow, I=V3/12

Watch the sign...

I understand your struggle with nodal analysis and solving for unknowns. It can be a complex process, but with a solid understanding of the underlying principles and equations, it is possible to solve for the unknowns.

Firstly, let's review the equation V=IR, which is known as Ohm's law. This equation relates the voltage (V) across a resistor to the current (I) flowing through it, with the constant of proportionality being the resistance (R). This equation is fundamental in understanding the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit.

Moving on to nodal analysis, it is a method used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits by applying Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) at each node. KCL states that the sum of currents flowing into a node must equal the sum of currents flowing out of that node. This allows us to write equations for each node and solve for the unknown variables, in this case, V3 and I.

In your KCL equation for node V1, you have correctly considered the currents flowing into and out of the node. However, to solve for I in terms of V3, we need to make use of the equation V=IR. Rearranging this equation, we get I=V/R. Now, we can substitute this into your KCL equation and solve for V3.

(V3+10)/8 + (V3-3(V3/12))/2 + V3/12 = 0

Simplifying this equation, we get:

V3/8 + V3/4 - V3/8 + V3/12 = 0

Combining like terms, we get:

V3/3 = 0

Therefore, V3=0. This means that I=0 as well, since there is no voltage drop across a resistor with no current flowing through it.

In conclusion, by using the equation V=IR and applying KCL at the node V1, we were able to solve for the unknown variable V3 and determine that I=0. Keep practicing and applying these principles, and you will become more confident in solving nodal analysis problems in the future.

Related to Nodal Analysis Help, 1 equation 2 unknowns

What is nodal analysis and why is it useful?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits and determine the voltage at each node, or connection point, in the circuit. It is useful because it allows for the calculation of unknown voltages and currents in a circuit, making it an important tool in circuit design and troubleshooting.

How does nodal analysis work?

Nodal analysis works by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This results in a set of equations that can be solved for the unknown voltages at each node.

What is the equation used in nodal analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns?

The equation used in nodal analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns is known as the node voltage equation. It is represented as V1 - V2 = V, where V1 and V2 are the unknown node voltages and V is the known voltage source connected to the nodes.

What are the steps to solve a nodal analysis problem with 1 equation and 2 unknowns?

The steps to solve a nodal analysis problem with 1 equation and 2 unknowns are as follows:

1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
  2. Choose one node as the reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
  3. Apply KCL to each of the remaining nodes, setting up equations based on the current entering and leaving each node.
  4. Substitute the known values and simplifying the equations to get a single equation with 2 unknown voltages.
  5. Solve for the unknown voltages using algebraic methods.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using nodal analysis for 1 equation and 2 unknowns include:

• Incorrectly identifying the nodes in the circuit.
  • Not assigning a reference node or assigning it the wrong voltage.
  • Incorrectly applying KCL or setting up the equations for each node.
  • Forgetting to substitute the known values or making a mistake in the algebraic steps.