Nodal analysis of an AC circuit

In summary, the person is struggling with part b of their assignment involving Kirchhoff's current law. They have correctly solved part a and are confused about the equations given in a previous thread. They discuss the equations and realize that there was a mistake in one of them, but they are still unsure why the middle term should be divided by z3 instead of z2. It ultimately depends on how the directions are defined.
Morgz129

Homework Statement

Hi I have this question as part of my assignment but cannot get my head around part b, I have worked out part a with an answer of -9.2+17.3i amps which from a previous thread I know is correct, but can't understand why the equations given in the previous thread are different to what I have.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoffs current law

The Attempt at a Solution

V20-v30=v3

((V20-V1)/Z1)+((v20-v30)/z2)+(v20/z4)=0
((v20-v1)/z1)+(v3/z2)+(v20/z4)=0

((v30-v20)/z2)+((v30-v2)/z2)+(v30/z5)=0

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the bottom equation, I think that middle term should be ##\frac {V2 - V30}{Z3}##. And that would be equal to the other two terms.

osilmag said:
For the bottom equation, I think that middle term should be ##\frac {V2 - V30}{Z3}##. And that would be equal to the other two terms.

My mistake it should be divided by z3, but if I may ask why would it be ((v2-v30)/z3) instead of ((v30-v2)/z3)?

It depends on how you define your directions. If current is flowing into the node from z3 and out of it at z5 and z2 then ##v2-v30 ## is the difference and ## I,z3 = I,z5 + I,z2##

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze and solve AC circuits. It involves identifying and labeling the nodes (points where two or more components connect) in a circuit, writing out Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, and solving for the unknown voltages at the nodes.

2. How is nodal analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is different from other circuit analysis methods, such as mesh analysis, in that it directly solves for the node voltages rather than using currents and resistances. It is also more efficient for circuits with multiple voltage sources and complex networks.

3. What are the key steps in performing nodal analysis?

The key steps in performing nodal analysis are: 1) Identify and label the nodes in the circuit, 2) Write out Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, 3) Solve the equations simultaneously to find the unknown node voltages, and 4) Use the node voltages to calculate any desired currents or power values.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the analysis must be done using complex numbers and phasors to account for the effects of frequency and phase.

5. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

While nodal analysis is a powerful tool for solving AC circuits, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for linear circuits with independent voltage sources and resistors. It may also become more complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes.