Non-Dimensionalizing PDE with Variable Scaling

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the problem of a diffusion equation with boundary and initial conditions can be recast into a canonical form by introducing non-dimensional variables. This results in the new problem definition of the diffusion equation with boundary and initial conditions in terms of the non-dimensional temperature variable, theta. The boundary conditions are modified to include the non-dimensional time variable, t_*, and the temperature variable is substituted with theta in the boundary and initial conditions.
Dustinsfl
$$
\frac{1}{\alpha}T_t = T_{xx}
$$
B.C are
$$
T(0,t) = T(L,t) = T_{\infty}
$$
I.C is
$$
T(x,0) = T_i.
$$
By recasting this problem in terms of non-dimensional variables, the diffusion equation along with its boundary conditions can be put into a canonical form.
Suppose that we introduce variable scaling defined by
$$
x_* = \frac{x}{L}\quad\quad t_* = \frac{\alpha t}{L^2}\quad\quad \theta = \frac{T - T_{\infty}}{T_i - T_{\infty}}
$$
With this change of variables, show that the problem definition becomes
\begin{alignat*}{5}
\theta_{t_*} & = & \theta_{x_*x_*} & & \\
\theta(0,t_*) & = & \theta(1,t_*) & = & 0\\
\theta(x_*,0) & = & 1
\end{alignat*}

$$
\frac{1}{L^2}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t_*} = \frac{1}{L^2}\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x_*^2}
$$
Do I make the $T$ substitution just as $T = \theta(T_i - T_{\infty}) + T_{\infty}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\frac{1}{\alpha}T_t = T_{xx}
$$
B.C are
$$
T(0,t) = T(L,t) = T_{\infty}
$$
I.C is
$$
T(x,0) = T_i.
$$
By recasting this problem in terms of non-dimensional variables, the diffusion equation along with its boundary conditions can be put into a canonical form.
Suppose that we introduce variable scaling defined by
$$
x_* = \frac{x}{L}\quad\quad t_* = \frac{\alpha t}{L^2}\quad\quad \theta = \frac{T - T_{\infty}}{T_i - T_{\infty}}
$$
With this change of variables, show that the problem definition becomes
\begin{alignat*}{5}
\theta_{t_*} & = & \theta_{x_*x_*} & & \\
\theta(0,t_*) & = & \theta(1,t_*) & = & 0\\
\theta(x_*,0) & = & 1
\end{alignat*}

$$
\frac{1}{L^2}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t_*} = \frac{1}{L^2}\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x_*^2}
$$
Do I make the $T$ substitution just as $T = \theta(T_i - T_{\infty}) + T_{\infty}$?

For the BC, I have now
$$
T\left(0=x=x_*L,t = \frac{L^2t_*}{\alpha}\right) = T\left(1,t = \frac{L^2t_*}{\alpha}\right) = T_{\infty}
$$
How do I just get $t_*$ in the BC? How do I change T to theta?

dwsmith said:
For the BC, I have now
$$
T\left(0=x=x_*L,t = \frac{L^2t_*}{\alpha}\right) = T\left(1,t = \frac{L^2t_*}{\alpha}\right) = T_{\infty}
$$
How do I just get $t_*$ in the BC? How do I change T to theta?

So I have solved everything except for the change on the boundary conditions and initial conditions.

That part has me stuck.

Related to Non-Dimensionalizing PDE with Variable Scaling

What is non-dimensionalization and why is it necessary for PDEs?

Non-dimensionalization is the process of removing units from a mathematical equation. It is necessary for PDEs because it simplifies the equation and allows for easier analysis and comparison of different equations.

What is variable scaling and how does it relate to non-dimensionalization?

Variable scaling is the process of choosing appropriate scaling factors for each variable in a PDE. It relates to non-dimensionalization because it is used to remove the units from each variable, making the equation dimensionless.

What are the benefits of non-dimensionalizing PDEs with variable scaling?

Non-dimensionalizing PDEs with variable scaling allows for easier comparison of different equations, simplifies the equations and makes them more amenable to analysis, and can reveal important relationships between variables.

Can any PDE be non-dimensionalized with variable scaling?

Yes, any PDE can be non-dimensionalized with variable scaling. However, the choice of scaling factors may differ depending on the specific equation and the desired outcome.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to non-dimensionalizing PDEs with variable scaling?

The main limitation of non-dimensionalizing PDEs with variable scaling is that it can sometimes lead to a loss of physical meaning in the equations. Additionally, the choice of scaling factors can be subjective and may affect the results of the analysis.