Northern Lights Visible in Mid States Tonight

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary, there is a huge CME arriving tonight at 2300EST, which is expected to result in visible auroras in the mid States. However, it may not be a good time to be in Cuba or Louisiana. Despite being clear at 54N at 2240 PDT, there are currently no auroras visible. It is suggested to subscribe to a thread for solar activity updates that can help predict aurora activity.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Apparently, there was a huge CMe that's arriving tonight at 2300EST. Auroras supposed to be visible well into mid States.
Lousy time to be in Cuba...

• Haha
Likes Stavros Kiri, lightduty, Drakkith and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Lousy time to be in Cuba...
Or Louisiana!

Likes Stavros Kiri and DaveC426913
I am at 54N, and it is clear here. At 2240 PDT I don't see any.

George Jones said:
I am at 54N, and it is clear here. At 2240 PDT I don't see any.
I must be sun-drugged.

I was half way through writing a reply that accused you of going out 20 minutes early and you need to wait till 2300 PDT
😵

• Love
Likes Stavros Kiri, DaveC426913 and berkeman

What are the Northern Lights?

The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, are a natural phenomenon that occurs when charged particles from the sun interact with the Earth's atmosphere. This creates colorful lights in the sky, typically in shades of green, pink, and purple.

Why are the Northern Lights visible in the Mid States tonight?

The Northern Lights are typically only visible in areas close to the Earth's poles. However, during periods of increased solar activity, they can be seen further south, including in the Mid States. This is due to the Earth's magnetic field being temporarily disrupted by the charged particles from the sun.

What is the best time to see the Northern Lights?

The best time to see the Northern Lights is during the winter months, when the nights are longer and darker. Additionally, it is recommended to view them on a clear night away from city lights for the best visibility.

Are the Northern Lights harmful to humans?

No, the Northern Lights are not harmful to humans. They are a natural phenomenon and do not pose any danger. However, it is important to dress warmly and take precautions when viewing them in cold weather.

Can the Northern Lights be predicted?

Yes, scientists can predict when the Northern Lights will be visible based on solar activity and the Earth's magnetic field. However, they are still a natural phenomenon and can be unpredictable at times.