Not able to simplify this summation formula?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying equations and finding the sum of geometric series. The first equation is simplified to the second equation by pulling out the constant term. The main point is that both equations are geometric series and can be solved using the equation \sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n = \frac{1}{1- r}. The conversation also includes a discussion about nomenclature and corrections needed to find the correct sum.
musicgold
Hi,

Please see the attached pdf file. Equation 1 and equation 2 are equivalent.
Can someone please help me understand how to simplify equation 1 to get to equation 2?

Thanks.

Attachments

• summation formula.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The summation variable is n, so x can be considered a constant hence it can be pulled out the front.

What is

[tex]1+r+r^2+...+r^n[/tex]

equal to?

Mentallic said:
The summation variable is n, so x can be considered a constant hence it can be pulled out the front.

What is

[tex]1+r+r^2+...+r^n[/tex]

equal to?

Please see the new attached file.
This is how far I could go.

Attachments

• summation formula 2.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 269
The point is that both of your series are geometric series. What you do in your last post is essentially repeating the proof that the sum of the geometric series, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{1- r}[/itex] except that you have [itex]r= \frac{1}{\gamma}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The point is that both of your series are geometric series. What you do in your last post is essentially repeating the proof that the sum of the geometric series, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{1- r}[/itex] except that you have [itex]r= \frac{1}{\gamma}[/itex].

There is no mention of infinite sums.

musicgold, so what is

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{1+y}[/tex]

And hence, let n=10. Also,

[tex]\frac{1-\frac{1}{\gamma^{n+1}}}{1-\frac{1}{\gamma}}[/tex]

Can be simplified further. At least get rid of the fraction within the denominator.

Please see the attached file.

I think, I am close, but not sure how to get rid of the 'y' in the encircled term.
What am I missing?

Attachments

• summation 3.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 279
Mentallic said:
There is no mention of infinite sums.

musicgold, so what is

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{1+y}[/tex]

Sorry, this was supposed to be

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{(1+y)^i}[/tex]

musicgold said:
Please see the attached file.

I think, I am close, but not sure how to get rid of the 'y' in the encircled term.
What am I missing?

We're looking for

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{10}\frac{1}{(1+y)^n}[/tex]

while you're finding

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{10}\frac{1}{(1+y)^n}[/tex]

In your second attachment when you found

[tex]s=\sum\frac{1}{\gamma^n}=1+\frac{1}{\gamma}+\frac{1}{\gamma^2}+...[/tex]

You began the sum with n=0 when you should've began with n=1.

Likes 1 person
Mentallic,

Yes. I was able to solve it with that correction. See attached. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• summation 4.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 315
Good work :smile:

Related to Not able to simplify this summation formula?

1. How do I simplify a summation formula?

To simplify a summation formula, you can try breaking it down into smaller parts and using known mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You can also look for patterns in the formula and use known mathematical identities to simplify it.

2. What should I do if I am not able to simplify a summation formula?

If you are unable to simplify a summation formula, you can try using a calculator or computer program to evaluate the formula for specific values of the variables. You can also seek help from a math tutor or teacher who can provide guidance on solving the formula.

3. Are there any general techniques for simplifying summation formulas?

Yes, there are several general techniques for simplifying summation formulas. These include using known mathematical identities, breaking the formula into smaller parts, and using properties of summation such as linearity and distributivity.

4. Can I use algebraic manipulation to simplify a summation formula?

Yes, algebraic manipulation is a common technique used to simplify summation formulas. You can use algebraic rules such as the distributive property, associative property, and commutative property to rearrange and simplify the terms in the formula.

5. Is it possible to simplify all summation formulas?

No, not all summation formulas can be simplified. Some formulas may be inherently complex and cannot be simplified using known mathematical techniques. In these cases, it is best to use a calculator or computer program to evaluate the formula for specific values.