Object size after deformation in ANSYS Workbench

In summary, it is possible to obtain the length of an edge in Ansys after the simulation or in the deformed object. There are two methods you can use: the "Measure" tool and the "Evaluate" tool. These methods will provide you with the accurate length of the edge in the deformed state, as well as other information such as strain and stress. Other methods, such as using directional deformation or strain, may give an approximation but may not be as accurate.
plueb
Hi,
I have a maybe very simple question. Is there a possibility to get the size or length of an edge in Ansys, after the simulation/in the deformed object? I have a sort of a bending beam and want to know his length after deformation.
With the directional deformation i could get an approximation by subtracting the first and the last point... but this isn't very exact. With the strain it doesn't work because I have the strain for every single point and not one number for the whole object to multiply it with the original length(which is written at the bottom when I select an edge). Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is possible to obtain the length of an edge in Ansys after the simulation or in the deformed object. Here are two possible methods you can try:

1. Using the "Measure" tool: In the Ansys interface, click on the "Measure" tool and then select the edge you want to measure. This will give you the length of the edge in the deformed state.

2. Using the "Evaluate" tool: In the Ansys interface, click on the "Evaluate" tool and then select the edge you want to measure. This will give you the length of the edge in the deformed state as well as other information such as strain, stress, etc.

I understand your concern about the accuracy of using the directional deformation or strain method. These methods can give you an approximation, but they may not be as accurate as the methods mentioned above.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Thank you.

1. How can I determine the size of an object after deformation in ANSYS Workbench?

The size of an object after deformation in ANSYS Workbench can be determined by using the Measure tool. This tool allows you to measure the dimensions of an object before and after deformation, providing you with the final size.

2. Is it possible to view the change in size of an object during the deformation process in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench offers a feature called "Deformation Plot" which allows you to view the changes in size of an object during the deformation process. This plot can be generated by selecting the "Deformation" option under the "Results" tab.

3. Can I change the scale of the deformed object in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, you can change the scale of the deformed object in ANSYS Workbench by using the "Scale Deformation" option. This can be found under the "Deformation" menu in the "Results" tab. You can choose to scale the deformation by a specific value or by a factor.

4. How can I compare the size of multiple objects after deformation in ANSYS Workbench?

To compare the size of multiple objects after deformation, you can use the "Compare Results" feature in ANSYS Workbench. This allows you to select and compare the size of multiple objects at the same time, providing a visual representation of the differences in size.

5. Is it possible to export the size data of a deformed object from ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, ANSYS Workbench offers the option to export the size data of a deformed object in various formats, such as CSV or Excel. This can be done by selecting the "Export Data" option under the "Results" tab and choosing the desired format for the size data.