Opamp as amplifier: Not getting the desired gain

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an op-amp for amplifying an input signal. The circuit used for testing is a basic inverting amplifier with R2=4.7K and R1=1K. However, the gain of 4.7 is not observed when varying the Vpp from 1 to 5. It is explained that this may be due to the op-amp not being properly fed and a symmetrical power supply is recommended for the op-amp. The conversation also mentions the use of application notes and the limitations of the op-amp, such as an input voltage range of ±12V and output voltage swing of ±10V. There is also a discussion about the use of a voltage
Nikhil N
I want to amplify my input AC,50Hz to 30 times. I just started to test the basic inverting amplifier, with R2=4.7K and R1=1K. I varied the Vpp from 1 to 5 and I observed, I am not getting the gain of 4.7. Why this is happening ? One more doubt that I have is I used 12V Vcc, so if the input is 5V, is it possible to amplify it to 5*4.7 = 23.5 ? This doubt is because we are only providing 12V to IC, then how it can generate more than 12V?
op_amp.png

The observations I got is as :
tbl.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:
The usual arrangement is to supply the op-amp with a symmetrical power supply, e.g., +12V and –12V, with the power supply midpoint used as ground. Your circuit shows a single supply, this arrangement is not suitable for your amplifier.

You can't have an output level exceeding the supply rail, so for testing purposes you need to reduce the amplitude of the input to verify the gain. Were you monitoring your op-amp's output using an oscilloscope, you would see that the output is a very distorted waveform, nothing like its sinusoidal input, so you could not even say this is "amplifying".

Application notes published by semiconductor manufacturers are an invaluable source of information to the circuit designer. Refer to one for the 741, you can find it online. Download it; commit it to memory. :smile:

Likes AlexCaledin
Nikhil N said:
This doubt is because we are only providing 12V to IC, then how it can generate more than 12V?
It cannot.
You must design to the worst case limits. The 741 op-amp is specified at VS = ±15 V as having;
Input voltage range ±12 V. So the inputs must be 3 volts inside the power supplies.
Output voltage swing ±10 V. So the outputs won't always go within 5V of the supplies.
Don't expect output current of more than 10mA, it will limit output short circuit output to about 25 mA.

Nikhil N said:
I just started to test the basic inverting amplifier
Whenever you try to 'test' a device, you should read the spec sheet first! It will tell you to use a bipolar supply for any op amp.

NascentOxygen said:
The usual arrangement is to supply the op-amp with a symmetrical power supply, e.g., +12V and –12V, with the power supply midpoint used as ground. Your circuit shows a single supply, this arrangement is not suitable for your amplifier.

You can't have an output level exceeding the supply rail, so for testing purposes you need to reduce the amplitude of the input to verify the gain. Were you monitoring your op-amp's output using an oscilloscope, you would see that the output is a very distorted waveform, nothing like its sinusoidal input, so you could not even say this is "amplifying".

Application notes published by semiconductor manufacturers are an invaluable source of information to the circuit designer. Refer to one for the 741, you can find it online. Download it; commit it to memory. :smile:
IMG_20170214_091116.jpg

I have a voltage supply of this kind. But when I measured voltage between +ve and GND(Middle) using my multi meter I am not getting +12V, same the case with -ve and GND. But I am getting +12V between +ve and -ve terminals. Can you tell me how can I connect +12V and -12V from this supply.

Nikhil N said:
View attachment 113255
I have a voltage supply of this kind. But when I measured voltage between +ve and GND(Middle) using my multi meter I am not getting +12V, same the case with -ve and GND. But I am getting +12V between +ve and -ve terminals. Can you tell me how can I connect +12V and -12V from this supply.
It is likely you cannot.

It is a single adjustable supply that can produce up to 32 volts, so you can set it to produce 24 volts output. Use two equal value resistors, maybe 100 ohm, rated at 2 watt each, to split the 24 volts, connect the junction to the ground of your input signal and the Earth of the supply. Don't forget to use bypass capacitors at the op-amp, (0u1F ceramic), and on the (+, gnd, – ) of the power supply.

An LM741 op-amp will not be able to drive a load that is below about 500 ohms.

Likes Averagesupernova
Baluncore said:
It is a single adjustable supply that can produce up to 32 volts, so you can set it to produce 24 volts output. Use two equal value resistors, maybe 100 ohm, rated at 2 watt each, to split the 24 volts, connect the junction to the ground of your input signal and the Earth of the supply. Don't forget to use bypass capacitors at the op-amp, (0u1F ceramic), and on the (+, gnd, – ) of the power supply.

An LM741 op-amp will not be able to drive a load that is below about 500 ohms.
op_amp.png

Is this circuit correct ? This will make both +12V and -12V at the divider circuit, so I hope this is what you have suggested.

Nikhil N said:
Is this circuit correct ?
Almost. But remove the short circuit from between pins 3 and 4.
Change feedback gain setting resistors from 1k0:4k7 to 10k:47k to reduce load on split ground.
Note that: Gain of 4.7 * 7V input = 28V, which is outside the supply of amplifier.
But if the input is 7VAC = 7Vrms = 7 * √2 = ± 10 V peak. Any gain will take the output to the power rails.

1. What is an opamp?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies an input signal to a higher output voltage. It has two inputs, an inverting and a non-inverting, and one output.

2. How does an opamp work as an amplifier?

An opamp amplifies the input signal by using a feedback loop. The input signal is compared to a reference voltage at the non-inverting input, and the output is adjusted to minimize the difference between the two inputs. This results in a higher output voltage that is a multiple of the input voltage, determined by the feedback components.

3. Why am I not getting the desired gain with my opamp amplifier?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to an incorrect calculation or selection of feedback components, poor circuit design, or improper grounding and power supply. It is important to carefully check all the components and connections to ensure they are functioning properly and meeting the requirements for the desired gain.

4. How can I troubleshoot my opamp amplifier if it is not working as expected?

If you are not getting the desired gain with your opamp amplifier, you can try checking the input and output signals with an oscilloscope to see if they are being amplified. You can also check the voltage levels at the opamp's inputs and outputs to ensure they are within the expected range. Additionally, you can double-check the circuit design and components to make sure they are correct.

5. Can I use an opamp as an amplifier for high-frequency signals?

Yes, an opamp can be used as a high-frequency amplifier as long as the opamp's bandwidth and slew rate are sufficient for the frequency of the input signal. It is important to choose an opamp with a high enough bandwidth and slew rate for your application to ensure accurate amplification of the high-frequency signal.