Partial fraction decomposition for .

In summary, you found that the equation 3x-1/x(x^2+4) = - one fourth / x + one fourth + 3/ x^2 +4 has an answer of (- one fourth / x) + (one fourth x + 3/ x^2 +4).
itachi8
Partial fraction decomposition for...

1. 3x-1 / x(x^2 +4)

Homework Equations

3. A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4

after multiplying through by the denominator and my attempt at finding A,B,C i get this:

3x-1/x(x^2+4) = - one fourth / x + one fourth + 3/ x^2 +4. I don't feel comfortable about this answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer i get is:
-(1/4)ln(x)-(1/8)ln(x^2+4)+(3/2)arctan(x/4)+c

i think you made a mistake at Bx which is supp0sed to be B(2x)/(x^2+4).

@itachi: Please either learn LaTeX or use parentheses. I originally read this:
itachi8 said:
1. 3x-1 / x(x^2 +4)

as this:
[tex]3x - \frac{1}{x(x^2 + 4)}[/tex]

Then I originally read this:
3. A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4
as this:
[tex]\frac{A}{x} + Bx + \frac{C}{x^2 + 4}[/tex]

And finally your answer:
3x-1/x(x^2+4) = - one fourth / x + one fourth + 3/ x^2 +4. I don't feel comfortable about this answer.
I thought was this:
[tex]-\frac{1/4}{x} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{3}{x^2} + 4[/tex]

But it looks like you meant this as your answer:
[tex]-\frac{1/4}{x} + \frac{\frac{1}{4} + 3}{x^2 + 4}[/tex]

If so, you forgot an x next to the 1/4 in the 2nd fraction.

@median27, I'm not sure how you got your answer.

Disregard my post. I apply integration. I thought your query about partial fractions was under integral calculus. I've never encounter partial fraction decomposition in other subjects other than in integral so i assumed it as a query about integration. :D

itachi8 said:
1. 3x-1 / x(x^2 +4)

(3x-1)/(x(x^2 +4))

Homework Equations

3. A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4

A/x + (Bx + C)/(x^2 +4)

Parentheses are important !

Show the rest of your work (with correct grouping) so we can see what you've done.

sorry about the mistake i made with the problem. yes the problem is (3x-1)/(x(x^2 +4)). From the equation i came up with A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4. After multiplying through the equation by the denominator (x(x^2+4)) i get A(x^2 +4) + (Bx +C)(x). That gives me Ax^2 + 4A + Bx^2 + Cx. After equating coefficients i come up with A + B=0, C=3, and 4A=-1. I solve for 4A which gives me A= -1/4 and plug this into A + B=0 which gives me B= 1/4. This leads me to my answer which is (- one fourth / x) + (one fourth x + 3/ x^2 +4). Is this correct?

itachi8 said:
sorry about the mistake i made with the problem. yes the problem is (3x-1)/(x(x^2 +4)). From the equation i came up with A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4.
Don't mean to be so picky, but you're still not applying enough parentheses. This looks like
[tex]\frac{A}{x} + Bx + \frac{C}{x^2} + 4[/tex].
Without LaTeX, you should have typed
A/x + (Bx + C)/(x^2 +4)

After multiplying through the equation by the denominator (x(x^2+4)) i get A(x^2 +4) + (Bx +C)(x). That gives me Ax^2 + 4A + Bx^2 + Cx. After equating coefficients i come up with A + B=0, C=3, and 4A=-1. I solve for 4A which gives me A= -1/4 and plug this into A + B=0 which gives me B= 1/4. This leads me to my answer which is (- one fourth / x) + (one fourth x + 3/ x^2 +4). Is this correct?
And your answer looks like
[tex]-\frac{1/4}{x} + \frac{1}{4}x + \frac{3}{x^2} + 4[/tex]

But yes, I am getting the same values for A, B, and C.

EDIT: Wow, 500 posts already?

itachi8 said:
sorry about the mistake i made with the problem. yes the problem is (3x-1)/(x(x^2 +4)). From the equation i came up with A/x + Bx + C/ x^2 +4. After multiplying through the equation by the denominator (x(x^2+4)) i get A(x^2 +4) + (Bx +C)(x). That gives me Ax^2 + 4A + Bx^2 + Cx. After equating coefficients i come up with A + B=0, C=3, and 4A=-1. I solve for 4A which gives me A= -1/4 and plug this into A + B=0 which gives me B= 1/4. This leads me to my answer which is (- one fourth / x) + (one fourth x + 3/ x^2 +4). Is this correct?
Is A/x + Bx + C/x^2+4 supposed to be A/x + Bx + 4 + C/x^2, or is it A/x + Bx + C/(x^2+4)? You don't need to use LaTeX (although it would be better if you did), but you should use brackets. Why wouldn't you? It is easy and avoids confustion.

RGV

Related to Partial fraction decomposition for .

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical process used to break down a rational function into smaller, simpler fractions. It involves finding the unique factors of the denominator and expressing the original function as a sum of these smaller fractions.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. It also allows us to integrate certain types of functions that would otherwise be difficult to integrate.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational function into its unique linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, for each factor, you set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, you substitute these coefficients back into the original rational function to get the partial fraction decomposition.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

The two main types of partial fraction decomposition are proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper partial fraction decomposition is used when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.

What are some real-world applications of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition has many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve differential equations, evaluate improper integrals, and analyze complex systems. It is also commonly used in signal processing and control systems.