Pauli Matrices: Troubleshooting a Non-Zero Commutator

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation involving Pauli matrices and the Levi-Civita symbol. The value of k is determined by the values of i and j, and if i and j are not equal, k must be the remaining value from {1,2,3} in order to get a non-zero commutator. The Levi-Civita symbol is equal to zero if any of the indices are the same. By using summation convention, it can be seen that only one term remains non-zero when i and j are not equal. The conversation also suggests calculating commutators to see if the relation holds.
mewmew
Ok, I have a stupid question on pauli matrices here but it is bugging me. In a book I'm reading it gives the equation [tex][\sigma_i , \sigma_j] = 2 I \epsilon_{i,j,k} \sigma_k [/tex] , I understand how it works and everything but I do have a question, when you have k=i/j and i!=j (like 2,1,2) you get a non zero commutator and yet [tex]\epsilon[/tex] gives you 0. What am I missing here? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The i and j determine the value of k.

For instance if i and j are equal then obviously the commutator is zero and the [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} = \epsilon_{iik} = 0[/tex] so that's fine.

If i and j are different then k is the other value from {1,2,3}. To use your example, if i=2 and j=1 then k MUST be 3 to get a non-zero value of [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex] (you don't put commas in the subscript by the way). Therefore [tex][\sigma_{2},\sigma_{1}] = \epsilon_{213}\sigma_{3} = -\sigma_{3}[/tex]

If it makes it easier, think about summation convention, so that the right hand side becomes

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\sigma_{k} = \epsilon_{ij1}\sigma_{1} + \epsilon_{ij2}\sigma_{2} + \epsilon_{ij3}\sigma_{3} [/tex]

This means that when i isn't equal to j only one of those three terms remains non-zero otherwise k will be equal to either i or j. If i=j, then all three are zero.

The Levi-Civita symbol is zero if any of the 3 indices are the same. Calculate a few of those commutators and see if they equal the RHS for the kind of indices you picked and see if the relation holds if you want to see this for yourself.

Thanks, that clears it up.

Related to Pauli Matrices: Troubleshooting a Non-Zero Commutator

1. What are Pauli matrices and why are they important in quantum mechanics?

Pauli matrices, named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli, are a set of three 2x2 matrices that are used to describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. They are important because they help us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and are essential in many quantum mechanical calculations.

2. What is a commutator and why is it important in relation to Pauli matrices?

A commutator is an operation that measures the difference between two operators, and it is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the relationship between different physical quantities. In the case of Pauli matrices, the commutator measures the difference between the matrices and helps us troubleshoot any issues that may arise in calculations involving them.

3. What does it mean for the commutator of two Pauli matrices to be non-zero?

If the commutator of two Pauli matrices is non-zero, it means that the matrices do not commute, or that their order matters in calculations. This can lead to issues in calculations and may require troubleshooting to ensure accurate results.

4. How do you troubleshoot a non-zero commutator involving Pauli matrices?

To troubleshoot a non-zero commutator involving Pauli matrices, you can try rearranging the order of the matrices in the commutator, as well as checking for any errors in the calculation or in the matrices themselves. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or references to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Pauli matrices and their commutators?

Yes, Pauli matrices and their commutators are used in various real-world applications, including quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and particle physics research. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems and have implications in fields such as chemistry and material science.