Permutations of Subscripts for Unchanged Value in Polynomial Symmetry

In summary, the symmetry group of polynomials is a set of transformations that preserve the shape and structure of a polynomial, including rotations, reflections, and translations. It is important for studying and classifying polynomials, understanding their roots and solutions, and is related to Galois theory in determining solvability by radicals. The symmetry group of a single polynomial refers to preserving the shape and structure of that specific polynomial, while the symmetry group of a set of polynomials refers to preserving the shape and structure of all polynomials in that set. It can be infinite if the polynomial has an infinite number of symmetries.
polarbears

Homework Statement

[tex](x_1 - x_2)(x_3 - x_4)[/tex]
Find permutations of subscripts that leave value unchanged

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know that it's asking how I should rearrange things and still not change the value.
Switching 1 with 2 or 3 with 4 would work but I know there's more than that but I'm don't know how to show it.
I guess I can expand it but I'm not sure if that helps

Physics news on Phys.org
"Switching 1 with 2 OR 3 with 4" doesn't work, "switching 1 with 2 AND 3 with 4" does. How about switching 1 with 3 and 2 with 4? Hmm?

Related to Permutations of Subscripts for Unchanged Value in Polynomial Symmetry

What is the symmetry group of polynomials?

The symmetry group of polynomials refers to the set of all transformations that preserve the shape and structure of a polynomial. These transformations include rotations, reflections, and translations.

Why is the symmetry group of polynomials important?

The symmetry group of polynomials is important because it allows us to study and classify polynomials based on their symmetry properties. It also helps us to understand the roots and solutions of polynomial equations.

How is the symmetry group of polynomials related to Galois theory?

Galois theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the relationships between symmetries and algebraic equations. The symmetry group of polynomials is a key concept in Galois theory as it helps to determine if a polynomial equation is solvable by radicals.

What is the difference between the symmetry group of a single polynomial and a set of polynomials?

The symmetry group of a single polynomial refers to the transformations that preserve the shape and structure of that specific polynomial. On the other hand, the symmetry group of a set of polynomials refers to the transformations that preserve the shape and structure of all polynomials in that set.

Can the symmetry group of polynomials be infinite?

Yes, the symmetry group of polynomials can be infinite. This can occur when the polynomial has an infinite number of symmetries, such as in the case of a polynomial with an infinite number of roots or solutions.