Please help Give the following operators:

• Thread starter ToxBoy22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation is about a quantum mechanics problem involving operators and the commutator. The problem involves finding the commutator between a-operator and a-operator ^ t and showing that it equals h-bar or Plancks constant divided by 2pi. The conversation also includes a hint from the expert to write down the rules for the commutator and to start from there. The person seeking help mentions that it is a class assignment and they are allowed to get solutions, but the expert emphasizes the importance of showing their own attempt at the solution. The expert offers to continue helping the person with their work.
ToxBoy22
Ive tried this quantum mechanic problem but I am not getting the right anwser:

a-operator = [x-operator + i (complex #)] (p-operator) / (square root of 2)

and

a-operator ^ t = x-operator - i (p-operator) / square root of 2

where x operator is the position operator and p operator is the momentum operator, show that [a-operator, a-operator ^ t] = h-bar or Plancks constant divided by 2pi,
or in expanded form, show that (a-operator)(a-operator ^ t) - (a-operator ^ t)(a-operator) = h-bar or Plancks constant divided by 2pi

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, this is homework?

I can give you a hint. Write down the rules for the commutator, and the commutator between x and p. Notice that orders matters, [A,B] = - [B,A]

If this is homework, then you must supply attempt to solution. This was your first post, and you should have read the forum rules https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149069

Last edited:
hey thnx its not really homework i just said that so i could get lp faster, but its just a class assignment that IAM allowed to get solutions too, its not being graded..can you help me any further?

Well I can help you, but you have to supply what you have done.. we don't "work" for free here. Even though you are allowed to get solution on this one, the forum rules are clear, and I want to HELP you, not just give you the solution...

I gave you the two things that you need, so start from there. In your textbook or lecture notes or on the internet, find the things I told you to get, then start work. Post your work here (as much as possible) if you get lost.

I will soon be online. but some will move this thread to HW/course work forum, and answer your questions further.

Related to Please help Give the following operators:

What are the different types of operators?

The different types of operators are arithmetic, assignment, comparison, logical, and bitwise operators. Arithmetic operators perform mathematical operations, assignment operators assign values, comparison operators compare two values, logical operators perform logical operations, and bitwise operators perform operations on binary numbers.

How do I use operators in programming?

Operators are symbols or keywords that are used to perform operations on data values in programming. They follow a specific syntax and can be used in expressions or statements to manipulate values or control the flow of a program.

What is the difference between unary and binary operators?

Unary operators operate on a single operand, while binary operators operate on two operands. Unary operators are usually represented by a single symbol, while binary operators are represented by two symbols.

What is operator precedence?

Operator precedence determines the order in which operations are performed in an expression. Certain operators have higher precedence than others, and they are evaluated first. Parentheses can also be used to specify the order of operations.

Can I create my own custom operators?

Some programming languages allow users to define their own custom operators, but it is not a common practice. It is generally recommended to use existing operators or functions to perform desired operations.