Please help me understand this - related to size of humans.

• Thread starter RufusDawes
  • Start date
In summary: The paper stresses that size varies hugely over time and geography with multiple reasons for changes.
RufusDawes
http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/a-grey-matter-of-size-brains-arent-what-they-used-to-be/story-fn5fsgyc-1226074059863

I was under the impression that -

Early humans had to run very fast for long distances to catch prey, which meant big bodies were out of the question.

The bigger body requires more food meaning smaller people have an advantage.

How would a large say 6'4" 90kg male survive as a hunter ? How could he run fast enough for long enough and survive ?

I am intrigued that the earliest humans were tall, does anyone know how tall the would have been ? Surely no where near the size of modern humans ?

Biology news on Phys.org
It's hard to get to the bottom of this. A pubmed search of the scientist cited Marta Mirazón Lahr reveals that her only recent paper concerns evolution of Austroasiatic speakers and she is only one of twenty-seven (:bugeye:) authors. It looks incomplete but her http://www.human-evol.cam.ac.uk/Members/Lahr/Lahr2.htm on Cambridge university website only lists one paper on human size from 1996.

The other scientist listed is Amanda Mummert, an anthropologist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Strangely she isn't actually listed on the http://www.anthropology.emory.edu/FACULTY/index.html " from which this story has developed.

What's interesting about this paper is that it doesn't mention the word "brain" anywhere. There is also no mention that people are "10%" smaller. Tables 1, 2, 3 all show specific decreases in certain bones but nowhere does it say "modern humans are X smaller". The paper stresses that size varies hugely over time and geography with multiple reasons for changes.

I think this is another example of a news agency taking something very complex and simplifying it to fit a headline that the editor thinks will sell. If you are interested you can read the paper yourself and have a look for the answer to your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigger bodies do require more energy, but they also use that energy more efficiently. Longer strides also make walking more efficient. Both of these things together mean that taller humans can travel farther using the same amount of energy. So if the resources are very spread out in the environment, it would be better for you to be tall.

Don't forget about the whole sexual selection side of the equation either. Girls like tall guys, and tall guys tend to have tall children.

O.O i didn't know that human brain is shrinking but increases intellectual knowledge rate

gf11221 said:
O.O i didn't know that human brain is shrinking but increases intellectual knowledge rate

Where did you get that from??

gf11221 said:

ryan_m_b said:
Where did you get that from??

That was probably his interpretation of this sentence from the article the OP posted.

"We may have smaller brains than early humans but that does not mean we are less intelligent," she said.

mishrashubham said:
That was probably his interpretation of this sentence from the article the OP posted.

Sometimes mish I wonder why I bother spending my time going through databases of articles to find the original work to summarise.

Then I remember, I'm a scientist.

ryan_m_b said:
Sometimes mish I wonder why I bother spending my time going through databases of articles to find the original work to summarise.

Then I remember, I'm a scientist.

Haha
Right

1. How does the size of humans vary among different populations?

The size of humans can vary significantly among different populations due to various factors such as genetics, nutrition, and environmental influences. For example, individuals living in regions with limited food resources may have smaller body sizes compared to those living in areas with abundant food supply.

2. What are the main factors that determine the average height of humans?

The main factors that determine the average height of humans include genetic predisposition, nutrition, and overall health. Genetic factors play a significant role in determining an individual's potential for growth, while nutrition and overall health can influence how much of this potential is reached.

3. How has the average height of humans changed over time?

The average height of humans has increased over time due to improvements in living conditions and access to better nutrition. In the past, factors such as poor nutrition and disease played a significant role in limiting human growth. However, with advancements in healthcare and technology, these factors have been minimized, leading to an increase in average height.

4. Are there significant differences in the size of humans between genders?

Yes, there are significant differences in the size of humans between genders. On average, males tend to be taller and have a larger body size compared to females. This is due to hormonal differences and genetic factors that affect growth and development differently in males and females.

5. How does the size of humans impact their daily lives?

The size of humans can impact their daily lives in various ways. For instance, taller individuals may have an advantage in sports such as basketball or volleyball, while smaller individuals may have an advantage in gymnastics or figure skating. Additionally, body size can also affect one's clothing choices, mobility, and overall physical capabilities.