Postgraduate Physics in the UK.

In summary, Durham and York are both highly ranked for theoretical physics in terms of RAE and Teaching Quality. The universities have a collegiate system, with Durham located in the city center and York on a nice campus on the outskirts. The cities are small and historic with nice architecture, but can be quiet compared to larger cities like London. Durham's high energy physics group is well known, but York may have a better program for computational and theoretical physics. There is a reputation for some students at Durham being stuck up, possibly due to their undergraduate experience at Oxford or Cambridge. Overall, both universities have strong cultural similarities and are highly regarded for theoretical physics.
Son Goku
Could somebody tell what Durham and York are like for theoretical physics.

Both of them have rank quite high on the RAE and Teaching Quality, but what are people's opinions of them.
They're basically my first two choices for postgrad, so I'm looking for impressions of them.

Even information on what the universities are like to live in and general atmosphere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have visited both recently (I applied to both for undergraduate entry in 2006). They showed us round the departments and york seemed to be far superior for computational and theoretical physics.
Both universities have a collegiate system but Durham is in the city centre and York is a on a very nice campus in the outskirts of york. Both uni's are a bit quiet compared to others in large cities (such as London) and both cities are small and historic with nice architecture etc.

P.S I'm not sure if if this is true but some of the students (undergrads I guess) at durham are supposed to be very stuck up.

Son Goku are you an undergrad in the UK or abroad?

I can't give a first hand report of Durham and York, don't know any PhDs there either, but to add to what rho said, I think Durham's high energy physics group is more well known. Both in definitely in the 10 or so schools usually ranked just below oxford/cambridge.

I don't know if it's true about some students being stuck up at Durham especially, I've heard that some who have been to oxford/cambridge for their undergrad degree and then gone elsewhere to grad school can be, but I'm sure you'd find most of the people cool. As rho said again, there are strong cultural similarities between the two (at least compared to lost of other parts of the country)

Related to Postgraduate Physics in the UK.

What is postgraduate physics in the UK?

Postgraduate physics in the UK refers to advanced studies in the field of physics that are undertaken after completing a bachelor's degree. This can include pursuing a master's degree or a PhD.

What are the requirements for postgraduate physics in the UK?

The requirements for postgraduate physics in the UK may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required. Some programs may also require specific coursework or a certain GPA. International students may also need to provide proof of English language proficiency.

What types of postgraduate physics programs are available in the UK?

In the UK, there are various types of postgraduate physics programs, including taught master's degrees, research-based master's degrees, and PhD programs. Taught master's degrees typically involve a combination of coursework and a research project, while research-based master's degrees and PhD programs focus primarily on research and may also require a thesis or dissertation.

How long does it take to complete a postgraduate physics program in the UK?

The length of time to complete a postgraduate physics program in the UK can vary depending on the program and the student's pace. Generally, a taught master's degree can take 1-2 years, a research-based master's degree can take 2-3 years, and a PhD can take 3-4 years.

What are the career prospects for postgraduate physics graduates in the UK?

Postgraduate physics graduates in the UK can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, industry, or government labs, teaching positions at universities or colleges, and roles in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science. The skills and knowledge gained through a postgraduate physics degree can also be applied to a wide range of other industries and professions.