Power generated by dependent source

In summary, the power generated by the dependent source in the given circuit is -168W. The analysis involves determining the current in the 3 ohm resistor using the independent voltage source, and then finding the current in the middle wire (ix) using the passive sign convention. The book "Engineering Circuit Analysis" by Hayt can be referred to for further understanding.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

Determine the power generated by the dependent source in the circuit shown below:

blah-5.jpg

Homework Equations

Ix=V/R
Pgen=V*I

The Attempt at a Solution

I made an equivalent circuit, but it may not be correct (resistors in parallel?):

blah2-1.jpg

Ix=-(12V/(12/7)Ω)=-7A
2Ix=2(-7a)=-14A

Passive sign convention is satisfied for the dependent source, so Pgen = -Pabs:
Pgen=-(12V)(-14A)=-168W

I am not sure I did this correctly, as this is my first time in a class like this. If I am going about this wrong, could someone point me in the right direction? I understand most of the homework in this class, but this one kind of confused me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are straying way off course. The independent voltage source produces a current in that 3 ohm resistor. You can determine its value.

ix has a direction opposite to what the voltage source produces, so you need to attach a negative sign to the magnitude of the current and call it ix

continue ...

Yeah, my professor showed us how to do it in class today and it makes a lot more sense now. I had just learned the material and the book we have isn't very good at giving examples/explanations.

Yeah it can get tricky for a newbie but stick to basics...

First of all realize that the wire connecting the two parts of the circuit cannot provide for both forward and return path for current. So current in the middle wire has to be zero. Now analyse both the parts of the circuit individually following what nascent oxygen told in the previous post...

As far as a book is concerned you can refer to :
Engineering Circuit Analysis by Hayt
Best of luck

for your help!
Hello,

I can confirm that your approach is correct. You have correctly applied Ohm's law to determine the current through the dependent source, and then used the formula for power (P = V*I) to calculate the power generated by the source.

Your equivalent circuit is also correct, as the two resistors in parallel can be combined into a single equivalent resistance. This does not affect the current through the dependent source, as the voltage drop across the equivalent resistance remains the same, and thus the current through the dependent source remains unchanged.

Overall, your solution is correct and your understanding of the concepts is sound. Keep up the good work!

Related to Power generated by dependent source

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an electrical component that produces an electrical quantity (voltage or current) that is dependent on another electrical quantity in the circuit. It can be either voltage-controlled or current-controlled.

What is the difference between a dependent source and an independent source?

An independent source produces an electrical quantity without being influenced by other components in the circuit, while a dependent source produces an electrical quantity that is dependent on another electrical quantity in the circuit.

How is power generated by a dependent source calculated?

The power generated by a dependent source is calculated by multiplying the voltage or current produced by the dependent source with the voltage or current it is dependent on, depending on whether it is a voltage-controlled or current-controlled source. The resulting value is then multiplied by the cosine of the phase difference between the two quantities.

Can a dependent source be used as a power source in a circuit?

Yes, a dependent source can be used as a power source in a circuit. It can be used to amplify or attenuate the voltage or current in the circuit, depending on its type and the values of the other components in the circuit.

What are some common applications of dependent sources in circuits?

Dependent sources are commonly used in circuits for amplification, filtering, and oscillation. They are also used in electronic devices such as transistors, operational amplifiers, and sensors.