Power Series Solutions of D.E.s

In summary, the conversation discusses finding two linearly independent power series solutions for the differential equation y'' + x2y' +y =0, starting at the ordinary point x=0. The attempt at a solution involves using the series y(x) = Ʃ∞n=0 {Cn(x-x0)n} and finding that C0 and C2 must both be equal to 0. The teacher's solution involves setting the parameters to 0 and 1 and then "unsetting" them later, resulting in two solutions that form one overall solution y = c_1 y_1 + c_2y_2.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find two linearly independent power series solutions about the ordinary point x=0 for

y'' + x2y' +y =0

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so we are supposed to try
y(x) = Ʃn=0 {Cn(x-x0)n} [but x0=0 so i won't include it in the derivatives]

so y'(x) = Ʃn=1 {nCnxn-1}

and y''(x) = Ʃn=2 {n(n-1)Cnxn-2}

Shifting indices and taking out terms to make the exponents of x and the starting points of the series equal (and then finally adding the series):

C0 + 2C2 + Ʃn=1 [(n+2)(n+1)Cn+2 + (n-1)Cn-1 + Cn]xn = 0

To me, this would mean that C0 and C2 both equal 0 right?

Then also That whole jumble inside the final series (except for the xn) also must equal zero...

I guess I am lost at this point. The teacher did it differently. He starts the final series at n=2 instead of n=1. Shouldn't it still be possible to do it my way?

I have attached his solution for reference.

Thanks for the help, final exam is on monday, wish me luck! Diff Eq in 5 weeks has been pretty rough on me...

EDIT: I forgot to mention... I am not quite sure how to arrive at two different solutions... it seems to me that in my notes the teacher factored something out and somehow got two solutions but I am pretty confused as to what is going on there.

Attachments

• HW8 Solutions.pdf
    631.2 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:
Then also That whole jumble inside the final series (except for the xn) also must equal zero...

The series can only be 0 if the coefficients are 0

EDIT: I forgot to mention... I am not quite sure how to arrive at two different solutions... it seems to me that in my notes the teacher factored something out and somehow got two solutions but I am pretty confused as to what is going on there.

Basically the recurrence relation is often difficult to find (if even possible). The solution sets the two free variables (also call parameters in other context hehe) to two easy values like 0 and 1. He basically set the parameters to 0 and 1 and "unset" that later. The two solutions form one solution. So the actual solution is

[tex]y = c_1 y_1 + c_2y_2[/tex]

1. What is a power series solution for a differential equation?

A power series solution for a differential equation is a series that can be used to approximate a solution to the equation. It is expressed as a sum of terms, each multiplied by a power of x.

2. How is a power series solution different from other methods of solving differential equations?

A power series solution differs from other methods because it allows for an infinite number of terms, making it a more accurate approximation. Other methods may only use a few terms or rely on specific solutions.

3. When is it appropriate to use a power series solution for a differential equation?

A power series solution is typically used when the differential equation cannot be solved using other methods or when an exact solution is not necessary. It is also useful for solving nonlinear equations.

4. What are some common applications of power series solutions in science and engineering?

Power series solutions are widely used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in calculating values for physical systems that are difficult to solve using other methods, such as chaotic systems or systems with non-constant coefficients.

5. How do you determine the convergence of a power series solution for a differential equation?

The convergence of a power series solution can be determined by using tests such as the ratio test or the root test. These tests can show whether the series converges or diverges for a given value of x. Additionally, the radius of convergence can be calculated to determine the range of values of x for which the series is convergent.