Powering small LEDs over Cat5?

• Thread starter dwaring28720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leds
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using power over ethernet (PoE) to power small lights in a shed. The speaker wonders about the current and voltage capabilities of ethernet cable and notes that they have a lot of it available. The other person suggests that PoE can be used to power both incandescent and LED lights, but notes that it may not be suitable for illuminating a shed due to potential limitations in distance and power. They suggest using a regular power line instead.
dwaring28720
Ok so I've been trying to power a few small lights in my shed and I've read on a few sites about PoE (power over ethernet). i just wondered or has anyone had experience with it? what kind of current/voltage is the cable capable of etc I am guessing its not just as simple of wiring 2 of the 8 wires to a bulb :) and pluggin the other end to a hub.

before anyone asks why use ethernet cable ... I've got lots of it.

thanks for any and all information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No experience with ethernet power, but you can drive both incandescent as well as LED lights with the POTS phone cabling, so ethernet cabling should be fine for small lights. Illumination of a shed is a different issue, even a modest LED bulb will draw 10 watts, so 2 amps at 5 volts, not much per se but probably more than ethernet cable will handle over a longish distance such as might be required to reach your shed.
Why not just string a regular power line, they sell for a couple of dimes per foot?

1. How far can Cat5 cable effectively power small LEDs?

The distance that Cat5 cable can effectively power small LEDs depends on a few factors such as the power requirements of the LEDs and the quality of the cable. In general, Cat5 cable can effectively power LEDs up to a distance of 100 meters.

2. Can I use Cat5 cable to power multiple small LEDs?

Yes, Cat5 cable can be used to power multiple small LEDs as long as the total power requirement of the LEDs does not exceed the power limitations of the cable. It is recommended to use a power supply or splitter to distribute the power evenly among the LEDs.

3. What is the maximum power output of Cat5 cable for small LEDs?

The maximum power output of Cat5 cable for small LEDs is typically around 60 watts. However, this can vary depending on the quality and length of the cable. It is important to check the specifications of your specific Cat5 cable to determine the maximum power output.

4. How can I ensure that my Cat5 cable is suitable for powering small LEDs?

To ensure that your Cat5 cable is suitable for powering small LEDs, you should check the gauge of the wire and the quality of the insulation. Thicker wires and higher quality insulation can handle higher amounts of power. It is also recommended to use a multimeter to measure the voltage drop along the length of the cable to ensure that the LEDs are receiving enough power.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when powering small LEDs over Cat5?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when powering small LEDs over Cat5. Make sure to use a power supply or splitter that is rated for the power requirements of the LEDs. It is also recommended to use a surge protector to protect against power surges. Additionally, always handle the wires and connections carefully to avoid electric shocks.