Probability Problem (Uniform Distribution)

In summary, the probability of making the flight for the harried passenger arriving at 10:05 is 1, as the plane always leaves after the traveler arrives. The probability for arriving at 10:15 and 10:25 should be equal, as the extended boarding time is uniformly distributed between 10:10 and 10:30. However, the probability is slightly higher for arriving at 10:15 as a closure at 10:25 still allows the passenger to make the plane, while a closure at 10:15 does not. The probability for arriving at 10:35 is 0, as the plane always leaves before the traveler arrives.
Debdut
1. A harried passenger will miss by several minutes the scheduled 10 A.M. departure time of his fight to New York. Nevertheless, he might still make the flight, since boarding is always allowed until 10:10 A.M., and extended boarding is sometimes permitted as long as 20 minutes after that time. Assuming that extended boarding time is uniformly distributed over the above limits, find the probability that the passenger will make his flight, assuming he arrives at the boarding gate
(a) at 10:05; (b) at 10:15; (c) at 10:25; and (d) at 10:35

2. The answer to part (a) and (d) are 1 and 0, right?
The answer to part (b) and (c) should be equal because we are talking about uniform distribution here, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The uniform distribution means that the gate has an equal chance of closing at 10:15 as it does at 10:25. However, you are still more likely to make it on the plane if you arrive at 10:15 than if you arrive at 10:25, because a closure at 10:25 still allows you to make it at 10:15, while a closure at 10:15 doesn't allow you to make it at 10:25.

Debdut said:
1. A harried passenger will miss by several minutes the scheduled 10 A.M. departure time of his fight to New York. Nevertheless, he might still make the flight, since boarding is always allowed until 10:10 A.M., and extended boarding is sometimes permitted as long as 20 minutes after that time. Assuming that extended boarding time is uniformly distributed over the above limits, find the probability that the passenger will make his flight, assuming he arrives at the boarding gate
(a) at 10:05; (b) at 10:15; (c) at 10:25; and (d) at 10:35

2. The answer to part (a) and (d) are 1 and 0, right?
The answer to part (b) and (c) should be equal because we are talking about uniform distribution here, right?

Why do you think the probabilities are the same in (b) and (c)? Don't guess---think it through, carefully. In particular, if I arrive at 10:00 + t (t in minutes, t > 10) and the extended departure is X (X in minutes, 0 ≤ X ≤ 20), for what values of X can I still get on the plane? How can you translate that criterion into a probability statement?

I think the distribution function will look like this,

f(x)=1/20 , 10<x<30
=0 , otherwise.

The problem is Uniform Distribution is a continuous random variable. The probability at a certain value of x (e.g. 10:15 or 10:25) is meaningless. It will however give probability over a range of values.

Please correct me.

Debdut said:
I think the distribution function will look like this,

f(x)=1/20 , 10<x<30
=0 , otherwise.

The problem is Uniform Distribution is a continuous random variable. The probability at a certain value of x (e.g. 10:15 or 10:25) is meaningless. It will however give probability over a range of values.

Please correct me.

The issue is NOT whether x assumes a particular value, such as x = 15; the issue is whether a person arriving at t = 15 can get on the plane! You seem to be mixing up x and t.

So how am I going to approach the parts (b) and (c).
Many thanks for the above posts.

Your distribution f(x) is correct if you're defining x to be the number of minutes at 10:00 that the plane departs.

For (a), you know the probability of making the plane is equal to 1 because the plane always leaves after the traveler arrives at the boarding gate. Similarly, for (d), you know the probability is 0 because the plane always leaves before the traveler arrives. Think about how these two statements might be represented on a plot of f(x). If you understand that, you can figure out (b) and (c).

Debdut said:
So how am I going to approach the parts (b) and (c).
Many thanks for the above posts.

Start by drawing a picture of a number line. Pick a value of t and draw it on the line; pick a feasible value of x and draw it. Now, what does that value of x actually mean? Draw it. Now you ought to be able to see what to do; if not, I give up.

Related to Probability Problem (Uniform Distribution)

1. What is a "Uniform Distribution" in probability?

A Uniform Distribution is a probability distribution in which all possible outcomes have an equal chance of occurring. This means that the probability of any event or outcome is equally likely. It is often represented by a straight line on a graph.

2. How is the probability of a specific outcome determined in a Uniform Distribution?

In a Uniform Distribution, the probability of a specific outcome is determined by dividing the total number of outcomes by the number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 10 possible outcomes, each outcome has a probability of 1/10 or 0.1.

3. What is the difference between a Uniform Distribution and a Normal Distribution?

A Uniform Distribution has a constant probability for all outcomes, whereas a Normal Distribution has a bell-shaped curve with higher probabilities for outcomes near the mean and lower probabilities for outcomes farther away from the mean. Additionally, a Uniform Distribution can have a finite or infinite range of outcomes, while a Normal Distribution has a finite range.

4. How is a Uniform Distribution used in real-life scenarios?

A Uniform Distribution is commonly used in situations where all outcomes are equally likely, such as rolling a fair die, flipping a coin, or choosing a random number between a given range. It can also be used in manufacturing processes to ensure consistency and in statistical analysis to model data that is evenly spread out.

5. Can a Uniform Distribution have outliers?

Yes, a Uniform Distribution can have outliers, which are values that fall significantly outside the expected range of outcomes. However, outliers in a Uniform Distribution are less common compared to other types of distributions due to the equal likelihood of all outcomes.