Problem concerning cyclic groups.

In summary, the question is whether Gn, which is the set of elements in G raised to a fixed power, can be a subgroup of G. It was initially thought that G must not be cyclic for this to be true, but it was later realized that G can be cyclic as long as it is abelian. The proof for this fact relies on the commutativity of G for the set Gn to be closed.
jmjlt88
The question states:
"Let G be a group and let Gn={gn|g ε G}. Under what hypothesis about G can we show that Gn is a subgroup of G?The set Gn is taking each element of G and raising it to a fixed number. I started my investigation by examining what happens if I take n=3 and considering the groups Z4 and the Klein 4-group. I noticed that Gn did not create a subgroup with the integers modulo 4, but it did create one with the Klein 4-group. Thus, I believe that in order for Gn be a subgroup, we need the condition that G must NOT be cyclic.

That being said, I have a proof, which seems to work, but nowhere did I use the fact that G is not cyclic. I have an outline below.

Thrm: If G is a group and is not cyclic, then Gn={gn|g ε G} is a subgroup.

Proof (SKETCH): Let G be a group and suppose G is not cyclic. We wish to show Gn={gn|g ε G} is a subgroup.
*Associativity*
... inherited from G
*Identity*
... The identity element e from G is in Gn, and e raised to some fixed number n is still e.
*Inverse*
... a and a-1 are in G... an ε Gn .. a-1n= a-n ε Gn ... ana-n=a-nan=eThe above is just an outline. But, even with all the details, I never use the fact that G is not cyclic. I must be doing something wrong. Please help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
^ Forgot to show closure. Let a,b ε Gn. Then a=g1n and b=g2n for some g1,g2εG. Then,
ab = g1ng2n=(g1g2)n. Hence ab ε Gn

I think there's some confusion here. If you mean Z4 to be the integers mod 4 that's not a group under multiplication. You want the group action to be multiplication. A cyclic group of order 4 would be {e,a,a^2,a^3} with the relation a^4=e.

Last edited:
I was completely wrong when I went about investigating Z4. Ignore that completely...

I was also completely wrong about that G having to be NONCYCLIC. It can be cyclic. G must be ABELIAN. And, I did end up using this fact ... Right here ..
ab = g1ng2n=(g1g2)n

If G wasn't commutative, then I wouldn't be able to show that Gn is closed.

jmjlt88 said:
I was completely wrong when I went about investigating Z4. Ignore that completely...

I was also completely wrong about that G having to be NONCYCLIC. It can be cyclic. G must be ABELIAN. And, I did end up using this fact ... Right here ..
ab = g1ng2n=(g1g2)n

If G wasn't commutative, then I wouldn't be able to show that Gn is closed.

That sounds better.

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure that is generated by a single element, called a generator. This means that all other elements in the group can be obtained by repeatedly applying the group operation to the generator.

2. What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. This is equal to the number of times the generator needs to be applied to itself to obtain all elements in the group. The order of a cyclic group is always finite.

3. How do you determine if a group is cyclic?

A group is cyclic if there exists an element in the group that can generate all other elements through repeated application of the group operation. This can be verified by checking if all elements in the group can be expressed as powers of the generator.

4. Can a cyclic group have more than one generator?

Yes, a cyclic group can have multiple generators. These generators will all have the same order as the group, and any one of them can be used to generate the entire group.

5. What is the significance of cyclic groups in mathematics?

Cyclic groups have many applications in mathematics, including in number theory, abstract algebra, and cryptography. They also provide a fundamental understanding of cyclic processes and patterns, making them useful in various fields of science and engineering.