Problem sets for Young and Freedman University Physics (Y&F)

In summary, someone suggested that the person try Kleppner and Kolenkow, but doesn't know if there is an answer book and starting from scratch would be discouraging.
Otto D.
In the last year, I took a few Mooc online and I felt like my Physics was a bit rusty. So, I found myself a copy of Young and Freedman University Physics (13th edition) to do some self-study. The thing is, there is so many problems to do, I think that I’m on chapter 5 since the beginning of May. I try to skip the one dotted problems and the Bio problems (there’s always someone badly injured, in those problems, and it seems to hurt really bad), but still I am only at problem 92 (of 127). I must say, I’m a bit tired of chapter 5, and the more problems I do, the worst I get, it seems like. I suspect, they are getting more difficult though.

So I was wondering, does anyone know where I could find a set list of problems I should (or must) do?

Someone could maybe suggest me some problems.

Or maybe, I was thinking about switching to Kleppner and Kolenkow, but I don’t know if there’s an answer book and starting all over again would be a bit discouraging.

Otto D. said:
In the last year, I took a few Mooc online and I felt like my Physics was a bit rusty. So, I found myself a copy of Young and Freedman University Physics (13th edition) to do some self-study. The thing is, there is so many problems to do, I think that I’m on chapter 5 since the beginning of May. I try to skip the one dotted problems and the Bio problems (there’s always someone badly injured, in those problems, and it seems to hurt really bad), but still I am only at problem 92 (of 127). I must say, I’m a bit tired of chapter 5, and the more problems I do, the worst I get, it seems like. I suspect, they are getting more difficult though.

So I was wondering, does anyone know where I could find a set list of problems I should (or must) do?
Someone could maybe suggest me some problems.

Or maybe, I was thinking about switching to Kleppner and Kolenkow, but I don’t know if there’s an answer book and starting all over again would be a bit discouraging.

There is an answer key in the back for KK, however it requires knowledge of calculus 2. Calculus 3 is prefered.

It should take you no more than 15 min on a problem, maybe an hour for 3 star problems. Although there are a few problems that can take a day.

If it is taking you a long time to do the problems, then you are not understanding the actual physics. A careful Re read of the txt should be in order, when this occurs repeatedly.

I don't have my copy around but I do recall that there are a lot of exercises in there.

On MIT opencourseware there are in fact problem sets http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01l-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2005/syllabus/
I haven't looked for an introductory E&M course but that might be on there as well.

You can see the assignments are a mix of original problems and textbook problems.

Edit;
I checked if they use your book for E&M but unfortunately they don't.
In a couple of days I can check my own book to see if there are must-do exercises in there.
Tag me if I forget which is a possibility since my finals will be done.

Last edited:
I would say that it takes me around 15 minutes to do one problems. But with 117 problems to do, it means spending 32 hours on the problems of one chapter. At around one hour a day, you feel like (or at least, I feel like) at that pace you’re never going to reach the end. When you think that in a real college class, where the pace may be a little too fast, they will do the whole mechanic part in 15 weeks, it’s a bit discouraging. That's why I would like to limit myself to maybe 40 problems. (and maybe avoid the really tough ones that makes you feel like an idiot.)

From what I rememeber MIT courseware use the 11th edition.

Otto D. said:
I would say that it takes me around 15 minutes to do one problems. But with 117 problems to do, it means spending 32 hours on the problems of one chapter. At around one hour a day, you feel like (or at least, I feel like) at that pace you’re never going to reach the end. When you think that in a real college class, where the pace may be a little too fast, they will do the whole mechanic part in 15 weeks, it’s a bit discouraging. That's why I would like to limit myself to maybe 40 problems. (and maybe avoid the really tough ones that makes you feel like an idiot.)

From what I rememeber MIT courseware use the 11th edition.

Do good problems not problems that are not the same. I will use calculus for example. Many students approach calculus how they did algebra, ie by doing all the problems. This is not a smart way of studying. Learn concepts not memorization of problems. Yes you have to problem solve, however, when you are doing problems, do a few easy ones, then some intermediate ones, then some hard. Be wise on your choices. Then ask yourself do you understand? Analyze your solutions, we're you got stuck how u succeed, and ask is there a better way?

1. What is the purpose of problem sets in the Y&F University Physics curriculum?

The purpose of problem sets in the Y&F University Physics curriculum is to reinforce the concepts and principles taught in lectures and readings. They also help students develop problem-solving skills and apply their knowledge to practical situations.

2. How often are problem sets assigned in Y&F University Physics courses?

Problem sets are typically assigned weekly in Y&F University Physics courses. The exact frequency may vary depending on the course and instructor.

3. Are problem sets graded in Y&F University Physics courses?

Yes, problem sets are usually graded in Y&F University Physics courses. They may count towards a student's overall grade or be used for formative assessment purposes.

4. What resources are available to help students with problem sets in Y&F University Physics?

Y&F University Physics courses often have resources available to help students with problem sets, such as online tutorials, study groups, and office hours with the instructor or teaching assistants. The textbook and lecture notes can also serve as valuable resources.

5. How should students approach problem sets in Y&F University Physics?

It is recommended that students carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. They should also review relevant concepts and equations, and work through the problem step-by-step. It can also be helpful to collaborate with classmates or seek assistance from the instructor if needed.