Professional Master's Physics degrees

In summary: I don't know about Marshall, but I've heard good things about the University of Houston - Clear Lake PSM.
Shackleford
What do you guys think of these Professional Master's Physics or Professional M.S. Physics degrees? Who has the best ones? I found an old report online, but the list is definitely out-dated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? lol.

Well I don't know enough to rank them, but my alma mater offers such a program. I've taken a few courses just to stay current. I think it's a good program, tailored mostly for those with an engineering background.

I do know its graduates are valued by employers in this area, especially Boeing.

lisab said:
Well I don't know enough to rank them, but my alma mater offers such a program. I've taken a few courses just to stay current. I think it's a good program, tailored mostly for those with an engineering background.

I do know its graduates are valued by employers in this area, especially Boeing.

I'm in the Houston area, so it would probably be a pretty good degree to have as well around here. I'm considering something like this or even an M.A. Physics. I don't intend on academic career.

My $0.02: having a master's is the 'sweet spot', if you're not considering a career in academia. It leaves you qualified for jobs that require an advanced degree, but you'd still be considered for jobs where the employer is looking for a bachelor's (i.e., not 'over qualified').

lisab said:
My $0.02: having a master's is the 'sweet spot', if you're not considering a career in academia. It leaves you qualified for jobs that require an advanced degree, but you'd still be considered for jobs where the employer is looking for a bachelor's (i.e., not 'over qualified').

That's good to know. Honestly, I have idea what career I want to have. No particular job stands out. I just know what I want to know - math and physics to a relatively advanced "degree." Fortunately, my present part-time job at an economic development organization affords me a plethora of industry contacts. My university doesn't offer an M.A. Physics or any kind of Professional Science Masters. I'm having to look across the country. I'll post the list of universities in a minute. I'm curious which ones are Tier 1, which would be a lateral move from my university, which would be a piece of cake but I'd still have a graduate degree, etc.

Kent State University

The Master of Arts in Physics is a highly flexible program that can be customized according to the constraints of the individual student. This flexibility is a good match for the needs of part-time students who continue to hold full-time employment in secondary education or in industry. Also, students in the Ph.D. program can apply for this M.A. degree after completing the requisite number of credit hours.

University of Texas - Dallas

Master of Science in Applied Physics
A minimum of 32 graduate credit hours are required. In order to receive the MSAP degree, students must successfully complete at least 16 semester credit hours of core courses. In addition to the core courses, 16 additional credit hours may be chosen from the physics elective courses or from electrical engineering, computer science, biology, geosciences, chemistry and management courses. The complete list of these courses may be obtained from the MSAP Graduate Advisor.

Ball State University

Master of Arts in Physics
If you are planning on getting an educational career or a job with less research, this program would be right for you.

You will take classes like thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

In the thermodynamics course, you will be introduced to the laws of thermodynamics and the kinetic theory of gases.

Quantum mechanics is a challenging course that will review the barrier problems and problems involving perturbation theory, and one-electron atoms.

You must meet admission requirements of the Graduate School and take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or an equivalent exam.

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/portal/SCE/Natural_Sciences/physics/Phys_ScienMS/Phys_PSM

Last edited:
One more to consider...

http://www.phys.washington.edu/academics/emsp/

lisab said:
One more to consider...

http://www.phys.washington.edu/academics/emsp/

I think I poo-pooed Washington for other reasons. lol.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in Texas, but I'm not entirely opposed to moving away to complete a graduate degree then moving back. I'm seriously considering the University of Houston - Clear Lake PSM since it's right down the street from where I work. However, I attend the University of Houston.

Here's another option I've thought about since I've seen them in undergrad - an MS in Physical Science. I would of course have my emphasis be in physics and minor in math, but it would be nice to get a broader "physical science" education at an advanced level.

http://www.marshall.edu/cos/degrees-ps-ms.asp

Last edited:

Related to Professional Master's Physics degrees

1. What is a Professional Master's Physics degree?

A Professional Master's Physics degree is a graduate-level program designed for students who wish to pursue a career in a specific field of physics, such as medical physics, engineering physics, or materials science. It typically includes coursework, research opportunities, and practical experiences to prepare students for careers in industry or government.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Professional Master's Physics degree?

The specific admission requirements may vary depending on the institution, but generally, applicants are expected to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, a strong academic record, and relevant work or research experience. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

3. How long does it take to complete a Professional Master's Physics degree?

The duration of a Professional Master's Physics degree can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. Typically, it takes 1-2 years to complete, with some programs offering part-time options for working professionals.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Professional Master's Physics degree?

Graduates with a Professional Master's Physics degree are well-equipped for a variety of careers in industry, government, and research. Some potential job titles include research scientist, data analyst, materials engineer, and medical physicist.

5. Can I pursue a Professional Master's Physics degree if I do not have a background in physics?

While a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically preferred for admission, some programs may consider applicants from other backgrounds, such as engineering or mathematics. However, these students may be required to take additional coursework to ensure they have the necessary foundation in physics for the program.