Program Guidance for a Marine Biologist

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on changing their major to become a marine biologist. They are conflicted between majoring in biology and obtaining a masters in marine biology, or majoring in marine science and minoring in marine biology. They are unsure if it is acceptable to major in marine science and then get a masters in marine biology. It is recommended that they speak with their course advisor and professors to determine the best path for them. Additional information can be found through resources such as Cornell's program FAQ and online discussions on the differences between marine science and marine biology.
Biscuit
Hello, I am looking to change my major to become a marine biologist. As I view the different programs that are out there I have come into a couple of conflicts I was hoping you guys could help me with. The first being I have the option to either major in biology and get a masters in marine biology, or I can major in marine science and minor in marine biology. The second option leaves my masters undecided, but I do have the option to get a masters in marine biology. So, if the second option seems better I am also wondering is it okay to major in marine science then get a masters in marine biology.

Physics news on Phys.org
These questions are best answered by your course advisor. My guess is that Marine Science will give you a broader view of the field whereas Marine Biology will focus more on Biology and will of course be relevant to any Masters degree you may take. However, this isn't really enough to go on to make an informed decision and I would suggest you talk with your profs and course advisors to determine what will be best for you.

Here's and FAQ from Cornell about their program:

http://marinebiology.cornell.edu/faq/

and another dated resource circa 2011 found via Google search on "Marine Science vs Marine Biology"

https://talk.collegeconfidential.co...cience-vs-oceanography-vs-marine-biology.html

1. What is the purpose of program guidance for a marine biologist?

The purpose of program guidance for a marine biologist is to provide a structured outline of the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to become a successful marine biologist. It serves as a roadmap for students and professionals interested in this field, outlining the necessary steps to achieve their career goals.

2. What topics are typically covered in program guidance for a marine biologist?

Program guidance for a marine biologist typically covers a range of topics including biology, ecology, oceanography, conservation, and research methods. It also includes practical skills such as data analysis, fieldwork, and laboratory techniques.

3. How can program guidance for a marine biologist be beneficial?

Program guidance for a marine biologist can be beneficial in several ways. It provides a clear understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for a career in this field, helps individuals plan their education and training, and provides guidance for job opportunities and career advancement.

4. Is program guidance for a marine biologist only for students?

No, program guidance for a marine biologist is not exclusively for students. It can also be beneficial for professionals who are looking to advance their careers or transition into a new field within marine biology. It can also be a useful resource for educators and researchers who want to stay up-to-date with current trends and practices.

5. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements to follow the program guidance for a marine biologist?

The specific qualifications and requirements may vary depending on the program and institution offering the guidance. However, in general, a strong background in biology and marine sciences, as well as a passion for the ocean and its conservation, are typically necessary to follow the program guidance for a marine biologist.