Projection of space curves onto general planes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the projection of a space curve onto a specific plane, using a specific example as well as more general methods. The two methods mentioned are finding a new orthonormal basis for the plane and using the formula for projecting a point onto a plane using a unit normal. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding geometric and algebraic arguments in solving this type of problem.
Antiderivative
So I've encountered many "what is the projection of the space curve [itex]C[/itex] onto the [itex]xy[/itex]-plane?" type of problems, but I recently came across a "what is the project of the space curve [itex]C[/itex] onto this specific plane [itex]P[/itex]?" type of question and wasn't sure how to proceed. The internet didn't yield me answers so I haven't made much headway. The problem and my attempt at a solution is outlined below:

Homework Statement

Compute the projection of the curve [itex]\vec{\mathbf{r}}(t) = \left\langle \mathrm{cos\:}t, \mathrm{sin\:}t, t \right\rangle[/itex] onto the plane [itex]x + y + z = 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

I'm having trouble come up with an equation. I've tried drawing the relevant [itex]xy[/itex]-, [itex]yz[/itex]-, and [itex]xz[/itex]-plane projections and seeing where the curves intersect, but I know that these intersection points do NOT necessarily correspond to the projection of the given curve onto the given plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

See reasoning above. I really don't know how to do this for a non-standard plane and so I'm completely lost as to how to make headway. I haven't been able to find relevant information on the internet either through a similar problem for some reason.

Can anybody help me out? If so, is there a way to do this for ANY plane [itex]P[/itex] and ANY space curve [itex]\vec{\mathbf{r}}(t)[/itex]? I feel like there should be yet Stewart's Multivariable Calculus yields nothing (at least the 5th edition doesn't) in this area. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Antiderivative! :smile:

Choose a basis for the plane.

Then use that basis, and the normal, as a new set of coordinates.

Likes 1 person
Hi tiny-tim! Hmm... okay so the normal vector to the plane is N(1,1,1), and the plane goes through A(1/√2,0,-1/√2). Using that, I guess I can try to find an orthonormal basis. Clearly A•N = 0, so A and N are normal. The other vector can be found by finding N x A presumably.

I'm getting (-1/√2, √2, -1/√2). Since it's an orthonormal basis I'd have to normalize this to get (1/√6, √2/√3, -1/√6).

Okay so my basis vectors are (1/√2, 0, -1/√2) and (1/√6, √2/√3, -1/√6).

There's a way to convert the coordinate systems but I'm not sure I know how to do that. It involves a matrix of some kind presumably?

Okay so I figured out that the three basis vectors in my new coordinate system would be

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)[/itex], [itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0,-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)[/itex], and [itex]\left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}},\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \right)[/itex].

Graphing these on Wolfram Alpha helped me see that they help to create the coordinate system where the new [itex]xy[/itex]-plane is created by where the given plane exists.

Should I find the new [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}[/itex] in terms of the old [itex]x,y,z[/itex]? I feel like that's so much work for a deceptively simple problem. Or is it actually necessary?

Okay just for completion I want to post that I officially figured it out.

Using the change of basis, I ended up rewriting the old [itex]x,y,z[/itex] in terms of the new ones, and deriving an equation for this "flattened" helix on the plane:

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{c}
\hat{x} \\
\hat{y} \\
\hat{z} \end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{c}
\frac{2\mathrm{cos\:}t - \mathrm{sin\:}t - t}{3} \\
\frac{2\mathrm{sin\:}t - \mathrm{cos\:}t - t}{3} \\
\frac{2t - \mathrm{sin\:}t - \mathrm{cos\:}t}{3} \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Graphing this in Mac's Grapher program or an equivalent software produces the attached diagram, which is what we're going for. Thanks tiny-tim for helping me visualize/understand the process!

Attachments

• Projection.jpg
    Projection.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
You can do it without changing basis vectors. Let's say you have a point ##P_0## on the plane and a unit normal ##\hat n## pointing to the side that ##P_0## is on. Let your curve be ##\vec r(t)##. Then the projection curve is ##\vec p(t)=\vec r(t) - (\vec r(t)-P_0\cdot \hat n)\hat n##.

I can give you more details later but have to run now.

Yep I just used that method after the orthonormal one. In the end it's kind of the same thing because you'll end up getting v – (n•v/n•n) n, which is like the Gram-Schmidt process for creating an orthonormal basis. Analogous procedures! Geometric versus algebraic arguments I suppose.

LCKurtz said:
You can do it without changing basis vectors. Let's say you have a point ##P_0## on the plane and a unit normal ##\hat n## pointing to the side that ##P_0## is on. Let your curve be ##\vec r(t)##. Then the projection curve is ##\vec p(t)=\vec r(t) - (\vec r(t)-P_0\cdot \hat n)\hat n##.

I can give you more details later but have to run now.
Could you please show me the details about your method please? I am stucking in this problem for a long time.thank you in advance!

Antiderivative said:
Okay so I figured out that the three basis vectors in my new coordinate system would be

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)[/itex], [itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0,-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)[/itex], and [itex]\left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}},\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \right)[/itex].

Graphing these on Wolfram Alpha helped me see that they help to create the coordinate system where the new [itex]xy[/itex]-plane is created by where the given plane exists.

Should I find the new [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}[/itex] in terms of the old [itex]x,y,z[/itex]? I feel like that's so much work for a deceptively simple problem. Or is it actually necessary?
Could you please show me more details about your basis changing ? The result is right in normal ways, but I can't get that in your method. thank u in advance.

1. What is the concept of "projection of space curves onto general planes"?

The projection of space curves onto general planes is a mathematical concept that involves mapping a three-dimensional curve onto a two-dimensional plane.

2. Why is the projection of space curves onto general planes important?

The projection of space curves onto general planes is important in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and mathematics. It helps to simplify complex curves and understand their behavior on a two-dimensional surface.

3. How is the projection of space curves onto general planes calculated?

The projection of space curves onto general planes is calculated using techniques such as orthogonal projection and perspective projection. These methods involve determining the intersection points of the curve with the plane and projecting them onto the plane.

4. What is the difference between orthogonal and perspective projection?

Orthogonal projection involves projecting the curve onto the plane without any distortion, while perspective projection takes into account the distance of the curve from the plane and creates a more realistic representation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the projection of space curves onto general planes?

The projection of space curves onto general planes has various applications, such as creating 2D representations of 3D objects in computer graphics, analyzing the behavior of curves in engineering designs, and mapping geological features on a 2D surface. It also has applications in astronomy, where it is used to map the orbits of celestial bodies on a plane.