Proper usage of trig functions in force problems

In summary, the use of sine and cosine in a free body diagram depends on the angle and its relationship to the x and y axes. The component of a vector along an axis is found using Fcosθ and the perpendicular component is found using Fsinθ. To determine the correct usage, it is important to practice and apply the definitions of sine and cosine, as well as to identify the correct right angled triangle in the diagram. Utilizing the extreme value test can also help in determining the correct expression to use.
Matt Armstrong
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
Not a particular problem to wonder about but more of a general question, when one has a free body diagram, when is it best to use sine and when is it best to use cosine?

I am reviewing some of my tests for a final, and having previously re-read my forces chapter, I thought that angles rising from the x-axis used sine and angles 'rising' from the y-axis used cosine. However, I have found multiple exceptions to both of these conceptions.

So when is it best to use one or the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you've discovered, it varies. If a vector F makes an angle θ with some axis, then the component of that vector along the axis (parallel to it) is found using Fcosθ; the component perpendicular to the axis is found using Fsinθ.

But the best thing is to solve a number of problems and practice.

Likes Chestermiller and Matt Armstrong
A check I often use is the extreme value test. E.g. if the slope were zero, would my expression for the force give the right result.

It's not "best" to use one of the other. One is usually correct and the other incorrect. Revise the definition of sine and cosine, for example...

Cos(X) = adjacent/hypothenuse

And how to rearrange these equations to give expressions like...

Adj = hyp * Cos(X)

In short you have to get good at looking at drawings and identifying the right angled triangle so you can work out if you need to calculate the adjacent side or the opposite side and if Sin or Cos is needed.

I also use the trick Haruspex mentions.

1. How do I know when to use trigonometric functions in force problems?

The use of trigonometric functions in force problems is necessary when the forces involved are not acting in a straight line and the angles between the forces need to be considered. This is often the case in situations involving inclined planes or objects on an incline.

2. Which trigonometric function should I use in force problems?

The specific trigonometric function to use in force problems depends on the given information and the unknown variable. The most commonly used trigonometric functions in force problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. It is important to understand the relationships between these functions and how they relate to the sides and angles of a right triangle.

3. How can I use trigonometric functions to solve for forces?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve for forces by utilizing Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). By breaking down the forces into components using trigonometric functions, we can then use this equation to solve for the unknown force.

4. Can I use trigonometric functions to solve for angles in force problems?

Yes, trigonometric functions can also be used to solve for angles in force problems. This can be done by using the inverse trigonometric functions (arcsine, arccosine, arctangent) to find the angle that corresponds to a given ratio of sides in a right triangle. This is often necessary in situations where the angle between forces is unknown.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric functions in force problems?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong trigonometric function for the given situation. It is important to carefully consider the given information and the unknown variable before selecting which trigonometric function to use. Additionally, it is important to properly label and draw the forces and angles in a diagram to avoid confusion and errors in calculations.