Properties of limits of exponential functions

In summary, the conversation is about a proof for P1, where the properties of natural logarithm are used. The speaker also mentions their uncertainty about P4 and requests for clarification regarding the assumptions for u and v in the proof. They also mention the importance of being clear about constants and details in the proof.
A dummy progression
Homework Statement
Prove the following properties (in pictures)
Relevant Equations
Using the def. Of natural logarithm
IMG_20220311_172438_515.jpg

I did only the the first three prop.
And on a means we have, on pose or posons means let there be , propriétés means properties, alors meand then.

I apologize i am a french native speaker and i am busy so i cannot rewrite this in entirely english

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_172432_730.jpg
    IMG_20220311_172432_730.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 81
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not convinced by what you have done for P1. Where did you use the properties of the natural logarithm?

In any case, you need to be clear about what you are assuming in your proof.

My guess is you are allowed to use
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{1}{x} \right )^x = e\tag{1}.
[/tex]
For P1, the above implies
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{a}{x} \right )^x = e^{a}
[/tex]
and therefore for any ##b\geqslant 0##
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{a}{x} \right )^{bx} = e^{ba}.
[/tex]
The others are done similarly. Your task is to manipulate the limit to look like (1).

Be careful with statements like if ##x\to 0##, then ##y:= \frac{a}{x}\to \infty\ (a>0)##. This is true assuming ##x\to 0+##. It's clear ##a,b## are some fixed constants, but specify whether they are negative/non-negative. These details are important.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
I'm not convinced by what you have done for P1. Where did you use the properties of the natural logarithm?

In any case, you need to be clear about what you are assuming in your proof.
I don't know how to do P4. But i proved all of the first three

nuuskur said:
My guess is you are allowed to use
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{1}{x} \right )^x = e\tag{1}.
[/tex]
IMG_20220311_172432_730.jpg
IMG_20220311_172438_515.jpg

For P1, the above implies
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{a}{x} \right )^x = e^{a}
[/tex]
and therefore for any ##b\geqslant 0##
[tex]
\lim _{x\to\infty} \left (1+\frac{a}{x} \right )^{bx} = e^{ba}.
[/tex]
The others are done similarly. Your task is to manipulate the limit to look like (1).

Be careful with statements like if ##x\to 0##, then ##y:= \frac{a}{x}\to \infty\ (a>0)##. This is true assuming ##x\to 0+##. It's clear ##a,b## are some fixed constants, but specify whether they are negative/non-negative. These details are important.
On pose : we set , on a : we have , alors : then.

I didn't find P4 . Could you explain it to me?

What is assumed of ##u## and ##v##? Details are important! Do you seek to prove
[tex]
\lim _{x\to a} u(x) ^{v(x)} = \exp \left ( \lim _{x\to a} (u(x)-1)v(x) \right )?
[/tex]
If so, then don't bother, for this is false.

It is true that
[tex]
\lim _{x\to a} u(x) ^{v(x)} = u(a) ^{v(a)}
[/tex]
assuming ##u(x)^{v(x)}## is well defined around ##a## and ##u,v## are continuous at ##a##.

1. What is the definition of a limit of an exponential function?

The limit of an exponential function is the value that the function approaches as the input value approaches a certain value. It is represented mathematically as lim f(x) = L, where L is the limit value and x is the input value.

2. What is the general rule for finding the limit of an exponential function?

The general rule for finding the limit of an exponential function is to substitute the limit value into the function and simplify. If the resulting expression is undefined, then the limit does not exist. If the resulting expression is a finite number, then that number is the limit.

3. How do the properties of limits apply to exponential functions?

The properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, can be applied to exponential functions. These rules can help simplify the process of finding the limit of a complex exponential function.

4. Can the limit of an exponential function be infinite?

Yes, the limit of an exponential function can be infinite. This can happen if the function grows without bound as the input value approaches a certain value. In this case, the limit is represented as lim f(x) = ∞.

5. How can limits of exponential functions be used in real-life applications?

Limits of exponential functions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in population growth models, radioactive decay, and compound interest calculations. They can also be used to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values at certain points.