Prove α² = 2: Supremum Proof Help

In summary: The theorem works for (beta) < sup or inf < (beta). Here we have (alpha) < √2 or "sup < (beta)" -- the theorem doesn't work. Use density in this case.
pzzldstudent
Statement to prove:
(Note: Q is the set of all rational numbers)
Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and α = sup B. Prove that α² = 2.

My work on the proof:
Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and α = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 0 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
Call sup B "α". If α² < 2, then α < √2. So by theorem, there exists an r in B such that
α ≤ r < √2. Since r < √2, r < 0 which is a contradiction (C!) to r being in B.
If α² > 2, then α > 2. By density, there exists an r in Q such that
α > r > √2. Since r > √2, then r² > 2. C! to r B. Therefore, α² = 2. QED.

Is my logic correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No = you begin by correctly noting that [tex] 1 \in B [/tex], so how can [tex] 0 [/tex] be an upper bound for the set. This comes back when you state that [tex] r < 0 [/tex]. The notion of a proof by contradiction is the way to go, though.

So can I say that 1 is an upper bound? I need to state an upper bound in order for the supremum to exist, right? So, how can I name an upper bound?

So can 2 be an upper bound then since r^2 < 2?

Redo of proof:

statdad said:
No = you begin by correctly noting that [tex] 1 \in B [/tex], so how can [tex] 0 [/tex] be an upper bound for the set. This comes back when you state that [tex] r < 0 [/tex]. The notion of a proof by contradiction is the way to go, though.

So I turned this in and got 3/8. I can redo this proof to get 6/8 which would boost my HW grade from a B to an A.

My original proof was:
Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and (alpha) = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 2 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
Call sup B "(alpha)". If (alpha)² < 2, then (alpha) < √2. By theorem, there exists an r in B such that (alpha) ≤ r < √2. Since r < √2, r < 0 which is a contradiction (C!) to r being in B.
If (alpha)² > 2, then (alpha) > 2. By density, there exists an r in Q such that
(alpha) > r > √2. Since r > √2, then r² > 2. C! to r B. Therefore, (alpha)² = 2. QED.

Comments my professor wrote on my homework were:
"Be careful...the theorem works for (beta) < sup or inf < (beta). Here we have (alpha) < √2 or "sup < (beta)" -- the theorem doesn't work. Use density in this case."
She also wrote, "How did you get r in B?" and that "Yes, density gives r in Q (the rationals)."

Here is my attempt at a redo:
Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and (alpha) = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 2 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
Call sup B "(alpha)". If (alpha)² < 2, then (alpha) < √2. By density, there exists an r in B such that (alpha) ≤ r < √2. C! to definition of supremum.
If (alpha)² > 2, then (alpha) > √2. By density, there exists an r in B such that
√2 < r < (alpha). In particular, since r > √2, then r > 0 but r² > 2. C! to r being in B. Therefore, (alpha)² = 2. QED.

Is that better than what I had?

That is much better.

1. What is the definition of "supremum"?

The supremum of a set is the least upper bound, meaning it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. In other words, it is the highest possible value in the set.

2. What does it mean to "prove α² = 2"?

Proving α² = 2 means to show that the square of α, which is represented by α², is equal to the number 2. This is a mathematical proof that requires a series of logical steps and equations to demonstrate this equality.

3. Why is proving α² = 2 important?

Proving α² = 2 is important because it is a fundamental mathematical concept that is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also an essential step in understanding more complex mathematical concepts and solving equations.

4. How is the proof of α² = 2 related to the concept of supremum?

The proof of α² = 2 involves showing that the square of α is equal to the supremum of a set of numbers. This means that the highest value in the set is equal to the square of α, which is 2. Therefore, the concept of supremum is crucial in proving this equation.

5. Is there a specific method or equation used to prove α² = 2?

Yes, there is a specific method known as a "supremum proof" that is used to demonstrate the equation α² = 2. This method involves using the definition of supremum and basic mathematical operations to show that α² is equal to the supremum of a set of numbers.