Prove commutative and associative

• Thread starter PennState666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    associative
In summary: in a commutative operation, a*j = a, so if we let b = j and c = a (and vice versa), we get:a*j = a = j*a = j*a, proving commutivity.i am still working on the associativity.
PennState666

Homework Statement

a function 'd' is a closed binary operation on a set called 'T'.
There is an identity element named j.
for all elements a, b, and c in the set 'T', we have d(a, d(b,c)) = d((a,c), b)

can anyone help me show that d is commutative and associative?

Homework Equations

f is commutative if function f(s,u) = f(u,s)
f is associative if function f(x, f(y,z)) = f((x,y), z)
q is an identity element if function f(q,a) = a and f(a,q) = a.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt began with proving commutative, but ended shortly after because there are three elements in the problem and as far as i know commutative only uses 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting one of your three variables to j.

May show up my unfamiliarity :shy: but have you quoted the associativity law right?

Likewise in the first line d((a,c), b) ? You have got this (a,c) in the air with no operation on the pair or rule to do anything with them, if I am not mistaken. :shy:

yes the law is correct. What was given to me in the problem is misleading regarding the law of associativity which is why i am so stumped. as for j, I am not sure what putting one of my variables in for j will do, but i will mess with it and see where it gets me. Thanks!

Then I am the one who needs help.

Associativity is written x*(y*z) = (x*y)*z where * is an operation.

Translating this into the f language, this is

f(x, f(y,z)) = f((f(x,y),z) .

Both are formulae saying combine two things then combine the result with this other thing can be done in this sequence, but if you do it in this other sequence the result is the same. But it seems to me that in your formula you also have these brackets e.g. (x,y) with no defined operation to combine them so they do not mean anything definite or defined?

epenguin said:
Then I am the one who needs help.

Associativity is written x*(y*z) = (x*y)*z where * is an operation.

Translating this into the f language, this is

f(x, f(y,z)) = f((f(x,y),z) .

Both are formulae saying combine two things then combine the result with this other thing can be done in this sequence, but if you do it in this other sequence the result is the same. But it seems to me that in your formula you also have these brackets e.g. (x,y) with no defined operation to combine them so they do not mean anything definite or defined?

Yes, there's a 'd' missing in the given relation and an 'f' missing in the statement of associativity. I figured they were just typos.

I am relieved!

That should make it easier. :biggrin:

PennState666 said:

Homework Statement

a function 'd' is a closed binary operation on a set called 'T'.
There is an identity element named j.
for all elements a, b, and c in the set 'T', we have d(a, d(b,c)) = d((a,c), b)

can anyone help me show that d is commutative and associative?

Homework Equations

f is commutative if function f(s,u) = f(u,s)
f is associative if function f(x, f(y,z)) = f((x,y), z)
q is an identity element if function f(q,a) = a and f(a,q) = a.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt began with proving commutative, but ended shortly after because there are three elements in the problem and as far as i know commutative only uses 2.

this is NOT associativity, as stated. if we write d(a,b) as a*b, what he is given is:

a*(b*c) = (a*c)*b (note the reversal of b and c).

it is far easier to prove commutivity FIRST.

this is what the hint on using j is meant to convey.

What is the definition of commutative property?

The commutative property states that when two numbers or variables are added, the order in which they are added does not affect the result. This means that a + b = b + a.

How do you prove commutative property?

To prove commutative property, you must show that for any given numbers or variables a and b, a + b = b + a. This can be done by substituting different values for a and b and showing that the result is the same regardless of the order in which they are added.

What is the definition of associative property?

The associative property states that when three or more numbers or variables are added, the grouping of the numbers does not affect the result. This means that (a + b) + c = a + (b + c).

How do you prove associative property?

To prove associative property, you must show that for any given numbers or variables a, b, and c, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c). This can be done by substituting different values for a, b, and c and showing that the result is the same regardless of the grouping of the numbers.

What is the relationship between commutative and associative properties?

The commutative and associative properties are both properties of addition that allow us to change the order in which numbers are added without changing the result. However, the commutative property only applies to two numbers, while the associative property applies to three or more numbers.