Prove the set of all automorphisms of a group is a group.

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Set
In summary, the set of automorphisms of a group is itself a group.Closure is needed in order to prove that the set of automorphisms of a group is itself a group.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

An isomorphism of a group onto itself is called an automorphism. Prove that the set of all automorphisms of a group is itself a group with respect to composition.

Homework Equations

To prove that this is a group I must show that it is closed on composition, there is an identity, and each element has an inverse, but proving something is a group isn't where the trouble lies. The trouble lies in reading the problem/understanding the terms.

The Attempt at a Solution

First let's consider the thing called "automorphism". Is this a mapping? Say, the identity mapping? What exactly is the thing called "automorphism"?

Second, what is the set of all automorphisms of a group? How many ways can you really list the group? Isn't there only one? I'm pretty confused about these meanings. I don't actually need help showing this is a group, I need help knowing what set looks like.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you studying from a book? If the book has a question on automorphisms, then it should also have a definition. Have you looked in the index?

The explanation given is "An isomorphism of a group onto itself is called an automorphism."

ArcanaNoir said:
The explanation given is "An isomorphism of a group onto itself is called an automorphism."
What does it say that an isomorphism is?

G is isomorphic to H means there is an operation preserving bijection from G to H.

ArcanaNoir said:
G is isomorphic to H means there is an operation preserving bijection from G to H.
OK, one last question and we can get to work. What is the definition given for composition?

f(g(x)) ? I don't know what you're asking here. Standard composition.

ArcanaNoir said:
f(g(x)) ? I don't know what you're asking here. Standard composition.
That's what I was looking for. In order to prove that the set of automorphisms of a group G is itself a group under composition, you need to show 4 things. The first of these is closure. In other words, if f is an automorphism and g is an automorphism, then fg is an automorphism. In order to show that fg is an automorphism you have to show that it is an operation preserving bijection from G to G. There are four things to show:
1. fg maps G to G.
2. fg is one to one.
3. fg is onto
4. fg preserves the group operation on G.

Start with number 1, and so on through number 4. You have a lot of facts you can use.
1. f maps G to G.
2. f is one to one.
3. f is onto.
4. f preserves the group operation on G.
5. g maps G to G.
6. g is one to one.
7. g is onto.
8. g preserves the group operation on G.

Once you have done this, you are not finished. You will have only shown closure, but the rest is similar.

Okay, that helps. Thanks :)

1. What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a special type of function that maps elements of a mathematical structure (such as a group) onto themselves while preserving the structure of the group.

2. How do you prove that a set of automorphisms is a group?

To prove that a set of automorphisms is a group, we need to show that it satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that the composition of two automorphisms is also an automorphism, the composition is associative, there exists an identity automorphism, and every automorphism has an inverse within the set.

3. Why is it important to prove that the set of automorphisms is a group?

Proving that the set of automorphisms is a group is important because it shows that the set is a well-defined and structured mathematical object. This can help us understand the properties and behaviors of automorphisms, which are important in many areas of mathematics, including group theory and abstract algebra.

4. Can the set of automorphisms of a group be empty?

No, the set of automorphisms of a group cannot be empty. Every group has at least one automorphism, which is the identity automorphism that maps each element to itself. Therefore, the set of automorphisms of a group will always have at least one element.

5. What is the difference between an automorphism and an isomorphism?

While both automorphisms and isomorphisms are functions that preserve the structure of a mathematical object, the main difference is that an automorphism maps the object onto itself, while an isomorphism maps the object onto a different, but isomorphic, object. In the context of groups, an automorphism is a special type of isomorphism that maps a group onto itself.