Proving the Unproven: A Finite Ring with Identity

In summary, the teacher gave a theorem which states that if a ring is not commutative, x may not be equal to y. He also gave a proof for the lemma. However, he was still stuck on how to prove yjx=1R.
kuahji
Let R be a ring with multiplicative identity 1R. Suppose that R is finite. The elemets xy1, xy2,...xyn are all different. So x y_i=1R for some i.

A lemma that is not proven is given. If xyi=1R & yjx=1R, then yi=yj

I need to show that yjx=1R.

Right now I haven't got much. I took the contrapositive of the lemma, but I still get stuck as I'm not sure where I could go from there with the information that I'm given.

The book gives a theorem which states Let R be a ring with identity and a, b of R. If a is a unit each of the equations ax=b & ya=b has a unique solution in R.

Then it goes on to state that if the ring is not commutative, x may not be equal to y. But yeah, I'm still stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kuahji! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what's yjxyi ? :smile:

Hello,

yjxyi=yj1R

The teacher also gave a proof for the lemma.

yi=(yjx)i=yj(xyi)=yj1R=yj

Except of course we haven't shown yjx=1R yet.

Still stuck, can't make the intuitive leap.

kuahji said:
yi=(yjx)i=yj(xyi)=yj1R=yj

Hello,

I assume you mean yi=(yjx)yi=yj(xyi)=yj1R=yj ?
Except of course we haven't shown yjx=1R yet.

But that's the definition of yj

yj is defined as the left inverse of x, and yi is defined as the right inverse …

so you're home. :smile:

Ok, sorry I don't see how it's the definition of yj.

I mean with your hint we have
yjayi=yj1R

But that is still different from yjx=1R

kuahji said:
Ok, sorry I don't see how it's the definition of yj.

Because of …
kuahji said:
A lemma that is not proven is given. If xyi=1R & yjx=1R, then yi=yj

… yjx=1R is given. :wink:

hehe but that lemma is what we're trying to prove. We can't use it to prove itself. But I got it now, had to work some algebraic magic. The "proof" of the lemma only showed that yi=yj. We were already given xyi=1R. So we still had to show the one part. Thanks for the help.

1. What is a finite ring with identity?

A finite ring with identity is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations, addition and multiplication. It is considered a ring because it follows the properties of a ring, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity. The term "finite" indicates that the set of elements in the ring is finite, meaning it has a limited number of elements. The term "identity" refers to the existence of a multiplicative identity element, which when multiplied with any element in the ring, results in the same element.

2. How is a finite ring with identity different from other rings?

A finite ring with identity is different from other rings in that it has a limited number of elements. In contrast, other rings, such as the integers or real numbers, have an infinite number of elements. Additionally, a finite ring with identity may have different properties or characteristics than other rings, such as a different number of subrings or a different number of units.

3. Can you give an example of a finite ring with identity?

Yes, an example of a finite ring with identity is the ring of integers modulo n, denoted as Z/nZ. This ring consists of the set of integers from 0 to n-1, and the operations of addition and multiplication are performed modulo n. For example, in the ring Z/5Z, the element 4 is the multiplicative identity, as 4 multiplied by any element in the ring results in the same element. The addition and multiplication tables for this ring are as follows:

+ 0 1 2 3 4
0 0 1 2 3 4
1 1 2 3 4 0
2 2 3 4 0 1
3 3 4 0 1 2
4 4 0 1 2 3