Proving Two Matrices to be Equal

• Thread starter B18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that two matrices, C and D, are equal given certain conditions involving the matrices A, C, and D. The solution involves using the associative property and the definition of matrix multiplication to show that C and D are equal.
B18

Homework Statement

Suppose that A is an m x n matrix and there exists n x m matrices C and D such that CA=In and AD=Im. Prove that
C=D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if I'm on the right path here. However my initial thought is that since the matrices are not square there isn't anything to prove by using inverses. So my guess would be i need to use the definition of matrix multiplication on CA=In and AD=Im and try and equate C and D in some way.

Physics news on Phys.org
But C and D have the same rows and columns so they could be equal. They don't have to be square.

Yes I can see that. But I don't think we can use inverses or inverse properties on this proof because CA and AD are not both the same size matrices.

B18 said:
Yes I can see that. But I don't think we can use inverses or inverse properties on this proof because CA and AD are not both the same size matrices.

You don't have to. Think about the matrix CAD. Use the associative property.

Likes B18 and HallsofIvy
Dick said:
You don't have to. Think about the matrix CAD. Use the associative property.
Ok, i think I've got this one nailed down.
CA=In
CAD=InD
C(AD)=D [identity matrix times D is still the matrix D]
since AD=Im
we have C(Im)=D
C=D [identity matrix times C is still the matrix C]

B18 said:
Ok, i think I've got this one nailed down.
CA=In
CAD=InD
C(AD)=D [identity matrix times D is still the matrix D]
since AD=Im
we have C(Im)=D
C=D [identity matrix times C is still the matrix C]

Nailed.

1. What does it mean for two matrices to be equal?

Two matrices are equal if they have the same dimensions and each corresponding element in the matrices are equal. This means that they have the same number of rows and columns, and the values in each position within the matrices are the same.

2. How do you prove that two matrices are equal?

To prove two matrices are equal, you must show that they have the same dimensions and that each corresponding element is equal. This can be done by comparing each element in the first matrix to the corresponding element in the second matrix and showing that they are equal in value.

3. Can two matrices with different dimensions be equal?

No, two matrices with different dimensions cannot be equal. In order for two matrices to be equal, they must have the same number of rows and columns. If the dimensions are different, then the matrices are not equal.

4. Can two matrices with the same dimensions but different elements be equal?

No, two matrices with the same dimensions but different elements cannot be equal. In order for two matrices to be equal, each corresponding element must have the same value. If the elements are different, then the matrices are not equal.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving two matrices are equal?

One shortcut to proving two matrices are equal is to show that their difference is equal to the zero matrix. If the difference between the two matrices is the zero matrix, then they must be equal. Another shortcut is to use the property that if two matrices are equal, then their transpose matrices are also equal.