Q of RLC circuit, confused with provided answer

In summary: So Rimax2/2 is the RMS value of Rimax2sin2(ωt)Also then they multiply Q by ##2\pi## at the end which I also found to be strange. Can anyone please shed some light?Homework EquationsSee above.The Attempt at a SolutionSee above.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Q of a series RLC circuit, with a focus on the energy dissipated per cycle and the value of Q. The book's solution shows that the energy dissipated per cycle is equivalent to πRimax^2/ω, and that Q is equal to either 1/(ωCR) or ωL/R, depending on the frequency. There
fahraynk

Homework Statement

The main question is to derive the Q of the series RLC circuit. This book shows the whole solution but I have a question about a part of their answer. Basically I want to know how ##\frac{1}{2}CV_{Cmax}^2 = \frac{1}{2}C(\frac{i_{max}^2}{wC}^2)##
to me it looks like they are saying ##V=i_{max}/Z## instead of ##V=IZ##.

Also, at the end why is the energy dissipated per cycle ##W_d=\frac{I_{max}^2R\pi}{w}##.
I think ##I^2R\frac{2\pi}{w}## should be dissipated the energy dissipated per cylce. Why are they leaving it as ##I^2R\frac{\pi}{w}## so that the energy dissipated per cycle is divided by 2? Also then they multiply Q by ##2\pi## at the end which I also found to be strange. Can anyone please shed some light?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives the solution:

In the time domain, the instantaneous stored energy in the circuit is given by : ##W_s=\frac{1}{2}Li^2 + \frac{q^2}{2C}##
For a maximum: ##\frac{dW_s}{dt} = Li\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{q}{c}\frac{dq}{dt} = i(L\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{q}{C})=i(V_l+V_C)=0##
Thus, the maximum stored energy is ##W_s## at i=0 or ##W_s## at ##V_L+V_C=0##, whichever is larger. Now the capacitor voltage, and therefore the charge, lags the current by ##90^\circ##; hence, i=0 implies ##q=\pm Q_{max}## and :
##W_{s|i=0} = \frac{Q_{max}^2}{2C} = \frac{1}{2}CV_{Cmax}^2 = \frac{1}{2}C(\frac{I_{max}}{wC})^2=\frac{I_{max}^2}{2Cw^2}##

On the other hand, ##V_L + V_C=0## implies ##V_L=V_C=0## and ##i=\pm I_{max}## so that ##W_{s|V_L+V_C=0}=\frac{1}{2}LI_{max}^2##
It follows that
##W_{s-max}=\frac{I_{max}^2}{2Cw^2}## for ##(w\leq w_0)## and
##W_{s-max}=\frac{LI_{max}^2}{2}## for ##(w \geq w_0)##

The energy dissipated per cycle (in the resistor) is ##W_d=\frac{I_{max}^2R\pi}{w}##. Consequently,
##Q = 2\pi\frac{W_{smax}}{W_d} = \frac{1}{wCR}, (w\leq w_0)## and ##\frac{wL}{R}, (w \geq w_0)##

Physics news on Phys.org
fahraynk said:

Homework Statement

The main question is to derive the Q of the series RLC circuit. This book shows the whole solution but I have a question about a part of their answer. Basically I want to know how ##\frac{1}{2}CV_{Cmax}^2 = \frac{1}{2}C(\frac{i_{max}^2}{wC}^2)##
to me it looks like they are saying ##V=i_{max}/Z## instead of ##V=IZ##.
Z = 1/ωC for a capacitor so what they wrote (& which you copied incorrectly BTW) is correct.
Also, at the end why is the energy dissipated per cycle ##W_d=\frac{I_{max}^2R\pi}{w}##.
I think ##I^2R\frac{2\pi}{w}## should be dissipated the energy dissipated per cylce. Why are they leaving it as ##I^2R\frac{\pi}{w}## so that the energy dissipated per cycle is divided by 2?
If you integrate Rimax2sin2(ωt) dt over 1 period = 2π/ω you will get what they state, which is πRimax2/ω.

Likes fahraynk

What is Q in an RLC circuit?

Q is a dimensionless parameter that represents the quality factor of an RLC circuit. It describes the sharpness of the resonance peak in the circuit's frequency response.

How is Q calculated in an RLC circuit?

Q can be calculated using the formula Q = 1/R * √(L/C), where R is the resistance of the circuit, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

What does a high Q value indicate in an RLC circuit?

A high Q value indicates a circuit with a narrow bandwidth and a sharp resonance peak. This means that the circuit is efficient at storing and releasing energy at a specific frequency.

How does Q affect the performance of an RLC circuit?

A higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit with a narrower bandwidth and a sharper resonance peak. This can be beneficial in applications such as filters and oscillators, but too high of a Q can also lead to instability and unwanted oscillations.

What are some factors that can affect the Q value of an RLC circuit?

The Q value of an RLC circuit can be affected by factors such as the values of resistance, inductance, and capacitance, as well as the quality of components and external influences such as temperature and electromagnetic interference.