[Q]Time deviation of expectation value

In summary, the conversation discusses the famous equation for time deviation of the expectation value of an operator, and the proof that if the operator does not depend on time, the time deviation will be zero. This theorem is only valid for eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, and in general, the state vector will be evolving as a superposition of eigenstates.
good_phy
Hi,

You know famous equation, [itex] \frac{d<A>}{dt} = <\frac{i}{\hbar}[\hat{H},\hat{A}] + \frac{\partial\hat{H}}{\partial t} >[/itex]

But liboff said if [itex] \frac{\partial \hat{A} }{\partial t} = 0 [/itex] then, [itex] \frac{d<\hat{A}>}{dt} = 0 [/itex]

this is the proof

[itex] \frac{d<A>}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}<\varphi_{n}|[\hat{H},\hat{A}]\varphi_{n}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<\varphi_{n}|(\hat{H}\hat{A}-\hat{A}\hat{H})\varphi_{n}> [/itex]
[itex]=\frac{i}{\hbar}(<\hat{H}\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}> - <\varphi|\hat{A}\hat{H}\varphi_{n}>) [/itex]
[itex] \frac{i}{\hbar}E_{n}(<\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}> - <\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}>) = 0 [/itex]

If it is right, we can conclude time deviation of expectation value of certain operator is zero if and only if corresponding operator is not depending on time, no matter what value of [H,A]
is!

is it right? i can't accept this theorm.

Physics news on Phys.org
This theorem is only valid for eigenstates of H. d<A>/dt is generally nonzero for non-stationary states unless A commutes with H.

The state vector is a function of time in the Schodinger picture, as opposed to the Heisenberg picture, appears to be what you are using. In general the state vector will then be evolving as a superposition of eigenstates.

Related to [Q]Time deviation of expectation value

What is the concept of time deviation of expectation value?

The time deviation of expectation value is a measure of the uncertainty or spread of a physical quantity over time. It represents the average difference between the expected value and the actual value of a quantity at different points in time.

How is time deviation of expectation value calculated?

To calculate the time deviation of expectation value, one must first determine the expected value of the quantity at each point in time. Then, the difference between the expected value and the actual value is calculated and averaged over time. This average difference is the time deviation of expectation value.

What does a large time deviation of expectation value indicate?

A large time deviation of expectation value indicates a high degree of uncertainty or variability in the quantity over time. This could be due to a number of factors, such as random fluctuations or inaccuracies in measurements.

How does the time deviation of expectation value relate to the concept of standard deviation?

The time deviation of expectation value is conceptually similar to the standard deviation, as both measures represent the spread or variability of a quantity. However, the time deviation of expectation value specifically focuses on the spread of a quantity over time, while the standard deviation can be calculated for any set of data.

What are some applications of the time deviation of expectation value in scientific research?

The time deviation of expectation value is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze the behavior of physical quantities over time. It can also be used to assess the accuracy and reliability of experimental data and to make predictions about future values of a quantity. Additionally, the concept of time deviation of expectation value is often utilized in statistical analysis and modeling of complex systems.