[QM] Finding probability current from Hamiltonian and continuity equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the current belonging to a given density using the Schrödinger equation and the continuity equation. After applying the equations to the density, the current is found to be equal to the divergence of a vector multiplied by the density, minus a term involving the mass and Planck's constant. The conversation ends with the resolution of a problem involving the quantization of photons in the electromagnetic field.
NanakiXIII

Homework Statement

Given the Hamiltonian

[tex]H=\vec{\alpha} \cdot \vec{p} c + mc^2 = -i \hbar c \vec{\alpha} \cdot \nabla + mc^2[/tex]

in which [tex]\vec{\alpha}[/tex] is a constant vector. Derive from the Schrödinger equation and the continuity equation what the current is belonging to the density

[tex]\rho = \psi^{\ast} \psi[/tex].

Homework Equations

Schrödinger: [tex]H \psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}[/tex]

Continuity: [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot \vec{j} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Schrödinger and the given Hamiltonian to the density gives

[tex]-i \hbar c \vec{\alpha} \cdot \nabla \rho + mc^2 \rho = i \hbar \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}[/tex].

The right hand side of the equation can be rewritten, by applying the continuity equation, and you end up with

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{j} = c \vec{\alpha} \cdot \nabla \rho - \frac{m c^2}{i \hbar} \rho[/tex].

After some tinkering I managed to turn this into

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{j} = \nabla \cdot c \vec{\alpha} \rho - \frac{m c^2}{i \hbar} \rho[/tex].

This is as far as I and my fellow students managed to get on this problem. Our teacher seemed to think that this was right, but that the second term,

[tex]\frac{m c^2}{i \hbar} \rho[/tex],

was supposed to be zero. We've had absolutely no luck, however, in proving any such thing and we don't see how that term should ever evaluate to zero. The hints our teacher gave us didn't get us any further, and I think we may have misinterpreted some of them because they led to very strange results. If anyone can give a hint or point in the right direction, or perhaps spot errors I made in the derivation so far (I hope it is clear enough without me providing the entire derivation), I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem has been solved. If anyone is interested in what I did wrong, I'll post it. If not, I won't go through the trouble of LaTeXing it.

How to quantization photons
the electromagnetic field?:cry::confused:

Related to [QM] Finding probability current from Hamiltonian and continuity equation

1. What is the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is used to describe the dynamics of a system and is a key component in solving the Schrödinger equation.

2. How is probability current related to the Hamiltonian?

The probability current, also known as the probability flux, is a measure of the flow of probability density in a quantum system. It is related to the Hamiltonian through the continuity equation, which states that the change in probability density over time is equal to the divergence of the probability current.

3. What is the continuity equation in quantum mechanics?

The continuity equation in quantum mechanics is a fundamental equation that relates the change in probability density of a system to the probability current. It states that the change in probability density over time is equal to the negative of the divergence of the probability current.

4. How can the probability current be calculated from the Hamiltonian?

The probability current can be calculated from the Hamiltonian by using the continuity equation. First, the probability density must be determined using the wave function, which is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation. Then, the probability current can be calculated by taking the divergence of the probability density multiplied by the Hamiltonian operator.

5. What is the significance of finding the probability current in quantum mechanics?

The probability current is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows us to track the flow of probability density and determine the evolution of a system over time. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of quantum devices and in predicting the behavior of quantum particles in experiments.