Quad Core vs Dual Core: Which is Better for a Physics Major's Laptop?

In summary, a laptop with a quad core processor is a bit out of your price range, but the laptop with the slower clock rate is not worth it.
Jow
As a soon to be physics major I am about to purchase a laptop. However, I can't decide what I want. Should I go for a laptop with a dual core processor with a higher clock rate or a quad core processor with a slower clock rate. The laptop with the quad core is a bit out of my price range but I am willing to stretch if it is worth it. What do you think?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Stick to what suits your budget.
Any physics department will have some computing facilities available to students, so there should be no need to buy a high end laptop.

I would like to highlight that many students simply go for a laptop though it hardly leaves their desk at home, the point being, if you don't need a laptop, you can put the money into a decent desktop.

If you truly need the mobility, take the weight matter into consideration.

physiker_192 said:
If you truly need the mobility, take the weight matter into consideration.

I cannot agree with this one enough! When you have to carry that laptop and it's power cord around on your back all day, every day, in every kind of weather, along with all your books and notebooks and lunch and other assorted "crap," you will find that the computer that weighs the least, will be worth the most; because you will actually USE it! Don't pick a tablet for your only computer though, because a lot of web sites you might access during school assignments (i.e., Webassign, Mastering Chemistry, Mastering Physics, etc.) don't work well without Firefox (Seriously).

Pick the least expensive one (because you will have to replace it in a few years anyway) and the one that weighs the least. I currently have about 6 assorted computers, laptops, and tablets; the one I use the most is the Acer Netbook that cost about US $200.00. Other computers are good for gaming and stuff, but I even use the netbook for computer science classes - it runs absolutely everything!

A quad core is going to be a waste unless you have software that makes use of it which most software doesn't, or you are a power user and run a whole bunch of resource-hungry apps at the same time.

Processor speed is really no longer a useful factor when choosing a computer, particularly a laptop computer. As processors have gotten faster, other bottlenecks have become apparent. Memory and disk bandwidth are now more important specs than processor speed.

You'll find a computer with a solid-state disk to feel much faster than one with a hard drive, in every way. Programs and files will open more quickly, the computer will boot, wake and sleep faster. Your entire experience with the computer will be greatly improved.

Next up, consider portability. Look for a laptop that is lightweight, thin, and lasts a long time on a charge. You'll be carrying it around everywhere, you'll be out of your dorm room for long periods of time, and you'll find yourself in lots of buildings where many people are competing for a power plug. You'll really enjoy a laptop with great battery life.

I realize these are very utilitarian features -- thin, light, good battery life, and with a fast disk -- but utilitarian features and creature comforts are what will ultimately make you love or hate your laptop.

You'll run a few compute-intensive programs during your undergraduate education, but you'll probably never run anything that takes more than a minute or two to complete. Don't sweat it. :smile:

- Warren

Likes 1 person
You guys forgot to mention the keyboard. My first laptop drove me nuts because the keys were too close together. I kept hitting the cAPLOCKS every time I hit the "A" button (see). And double typing letters etc. As far as the processor, any old i3 double core should do fine. Mine is an i3 hyperthreaded, so you get 4 virtual cores (there's a compromise for you:smile:) And they're cheap. If you find you need more than that, you should probably use the schools computers for those heavier problems. I personally use my desktop for any heavy cpu lifting projects, which has a lot more firepower. Then I'll just flip from the desktop to the laptop with a thumb drive. I imagine you could do the same. And the battery is important. Try to get with one over 4 hours of life on it. That way you can just grab and go without having to undo the cord and wind it up everyime, weather at home or out in public. The weight of the cord isn't the problem, it's the hassle. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you use your laptop a lot on the road, they add up.

DiracPool said:
Mine is an i3 hyperthreaded, so you get 4 virtual cores

By the way, those virtual cores do virtually nothing...

http://instantrimshot.com/

Hyperthread is only good for running programs that benefit from parallel processing. It's great for image processing, but, little else IRL.

IMHO hyperthreading changed in time. I see it working on my i7 now, it didn't work so nicely on my earlier single nor two core Intel processors.

1. What is the difference between a quad core and dual core CPU?

A quad core CPU has four processing cores, while a dual core CPU has two processing cores. This means that a quad core CPU can handle more tasks simultaneously, making it more efficient and powerful.

2. Which is better for gaming, quad core or dual core CPU?

For gaming, a quad core CPU is generally better as it can handle the demands of modern gaming and multitasking more effectively. However, the overall performance also depends on factors such as clock speed and cache size.

3. Does a quad core CPU consume more power than a dual core CPU?

Yes, a quad core CPU does consume more power as it has more processing cores and can handle more tasks at once. However, the difference in power consumption may not be significant and can vary depending on the specific CPU models.

4. How does the number of cores affect the overall performance of a CPU?

The number of cores in a CPU affects its performance by allowing it to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. A quad core CPU can perform better than a dual core CPU in tasks that require multitasking, such as video editing, streaming, and gaming.

5. Is a quad core CPU always better than a dual core CPU?

No, a quad core CPU is not always better than a dual core CPU. The overall performance also depends on other factors such as clock speed, cache size, and the specific tasks being performed. In some cases, a dual core CPU with higher clock speed may outperform a quad core CPU with lower clock speed.