Question about Jacobian change of variables

In summary, the discussion revolves around the concept of infinitesimal areas and their shapes in the transformation of a uv plane to an xy plane. It is mentioned that the transformation must meet certain conditions, such as being continuously differentiable and locally invertible, for the resulting infinitesimal area to appear as a parallelogram. The shape of the region is considered irrelevant, as the only relevant information is the plane it lies in and its area. The Jacobian is also mentioned as the ratio between the magnitudes of the source and target planar shapes. The area of the parallelogram is found through the determinant, but the shape of the parallelogram does not matter.
mmmboh
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'll go ahead anyway. I understand the math aspect of it, but one thing has me confused. If you have a uv plane, and then write x=x(u,v), y=y(u,v), why is it that no matter what the function transforming the uv plane to the xy plane is, we can assume the transformation will have infinitesimal areas in the shape of parallelograms? Couldn't there be times where the transformation has shapes that look nothing like parallelograms?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will always be a parallelogram if a few conditionnsare met. The transformation must be continuously differentiable and locally invertable. We are talking about infinitesimal areas. Many shapes are infinitesimally parallelograms.

Why can't the infinitesimal area be a shape with say, only 1 pair of sides parallel and the other two pointing toward each other? so like a square but with the top shorter than the bottom.

mmmboh said:
Why can't the infinitesimal area be a shape with say, only 1 pair of sides parallel and the other two pointing toward each other? so like a square but with the top shorter than the bottom.
(psst: "trapezoid")

The "shape" of the region is irrelevant; just a visual aid. The only relevant facts about it are what plane it lies in, and what its area is.

In the geometry of the tangent space at the point P (an "infinitessimal neighborhood", to a first-order approximation), ordinary geometric shapes can only appear as linear spaces: the point P itself, a directed line through P, an oriented plane through P, and so forth. We often "enlarge" these shapes in a drawing so as not to be infinitessimal -- e.g. draw the line as a tangent line.

Shapes also have magnitudes, in some sense. When we "enlarge" them, we might draw this by making an arrow with an appropriate length, or maybe a region of a plane with the right area. The Jacobian is the ratio between the magnitudes attached to the source and target planar shapes.

Last edited:
But when you do the determinant you are finding the area of a parallelogram, so doesn't the shape matter? which brings me back to my original question...I know you are right, I am just a little confused.

Related to Question about Jacobian change of variables

What is the Jacobian change of variables?

The Jacobian change of variables is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of variables. It is used in multivariable calculus to transform integrals from one coordinate system to another.

Why is the Jacobian change of variables important?

The Jacobian change of variables is important because it allows for the simplification of complicated integrals by transforming them to a more manageable coordinate system. It is also used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science.

How is the Jacobian change of variables calculated?

The Jacobian change of variables is calculated by taking the determinant of the Jacobian matrix, which is a matrix of partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables. This matrix can be found by taking the partial derivatives of each new variable with respect to each old variable.

What is the relationship between the Jacobian change of variables and the chain rule?

The Jacobian change of variables is closely related to the chain rule in calculus. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions. Similarly, the Jacobian change of variables allows for the transformation of a double or triple integral by breaking it down into smaller, one-dimensional integrals.

Can the Jacobian change of variables be applied to any coordinate system?

Yes, the Jacobian change of variables can be applied to any coordinate system, as long as the transformation is smooth and invertible. This means that the transformation must have a well-defined inverse function and the partial derivatives must exist and be continuous. If these criteria are met, then the Jacobian change of variables can be used to transform integrals in any coordinate system.