Question about Refrigerants used within a Heat Pump

In summary, the refrigerants used in a heat pump application should have the following properties: they should be able to vaporize at high temperatures and low pressures close to atmospheric pressure, be insoluble in water, and insoluble towards the compressor lubrication oil. This means that the refrigerants should not contain carbon, should not dissolve in oil, and should be able to vaporize at low pressures and high temperatures. There is a contradiction in the notes regarding the solubility of ammonia in lubricating oil, so further research and clarification may be needed to determine the correct answer for Q1 and Q2.
Martin Harris
I've been given the following 2 questions (please see below), and I've been asked to come with answers and arguments for my decision for the proposed answer, since there is just 1 correct answer per question. (so you can see my attempt below)

Q1)The refrigerants have to:

a)Vapourise at high temperatures and low pressures close to the atmospheric pressure
b)To be soluble in water
c)To be soluble towards the compressor lubrication oil.

Q2) The refrigerants have to:

a) Be Carbon-less such as not to contain Carbon
b)Not to dissolve in oil
c)Vapourise at low pressures and high temperatures

I think the correct answer for Q1 would be a) but don't know about high temperatures to vapourise, though low pressures would make sense, the same goes for Q2 as my answer would be c)

Are these answers even correct though? So I can know if I can start the arguments

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
My answer to Q1 is c. https://www.achrnews.com/articles/9...ts-with-a-knowledge-of-refrigerant-oil-basics

My answer to Q2 is, of course, c
Thanks for the quick reply!

Right, I thought the answer for Q1 would be a)

I thought mixing with oil is a big no-no...I will give way to your knowledge...just that coolant dissolving in the compressor oil sounds like a nightmare...like doing things like vapour locking your oil cooling/cleaning system...or gassing off at random times "There was a low pressure transient and our compressor lubricant started boiling"

Why would the answer from Q2 c) be feasible for Q1 a), it's basically the same answer, I am thinking that Q2 is either b) or c), leaning more towards b)..so it doesn't dissolve in your compressor oil...and gas off at the least convenient moment

Last edited:
Martin Harris said:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Right, I thought the answer for Q1 would be a)

I thought mixing with oil is a big no-no...I will give way to your knowledge...just that coolant dissolving in the compressor oil sounds like a nightmare...like doing things like vapour locking your oil cooling/cleaning system...or gassing off at random times "There was a low pressure transient and our compressor lubricant started boiling"

Why would the answer from Q2 c) be feasible for Q1 a), it's basically the same answer, I am thinking that Q2 is either b) or c), leaning more towards b)..so it doesn't dissolve in your compressor oil...and gas off at the least convenient moment
Q1a confines it to pressures near atmospheric pressure.

Likes Martin Harris
Chestermiller said:
Q1a confines it to pressures near atmospheric pressure.
Thanks for the reply, please find attached the notes that I've been provided.
These refrigerants should be used within a heat pump application

Having had a look over them I think it could be Q1)b) Q2)b)

1)b) seems a special case for heat pumps with absorption installation thus producing cold from the heat pump

2)b) would help to extract more heat from the refrigerant I think since it won't be soluble with the lubricating oil.

What's your opinion though?

On the 1st page of the notes I'm being told insolubility between the refrigerant and the lubricating oil and on the 2nd page of the notes there is a disadvantage for ammonia for having low solubility in the lubricating oil...

Attachments

• Notes.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 169
I think based on the notes that refrigerants shouldn't be soluble with lubricating oil... however there is a contradiction on page 1) with page 2) because low solluvility of Ammonia with lubricating oil is considered a disadvantage

1. What is a heat pump and how does it work?

A heat pump is a device that transfers heat from one location to another. It uses a refrigerant, which absorbs heat from one area and releases it in another. The refrigerant is compressed and expanded through a series of coils, allowing it to absorb and release heat.

2. What are refrigerants and why are they used in heat pumps?

Refrigerants are chemicals that have the ability to change from liquid to gas and back again at low temperatures. They are used in heat pumps because they can absorb and release large amounts of heat when compressed and expanded, making them ideal for transferring heat in a heat pump system.

3. What are the most common refrigerants used in heat pumps?

The most common refrigerants used in heat pumps are R-410A, R-22, and R-134a. These refrigerants are known for their high efficiency and low environmental impact.

4. How do refrigerants impact the environment?

Some refrigerants, such as R-22, have been found to contribute to ozone depletion and global warming. As a result, many countries have phased out the use of these refrigerants and are transitioning to more environmentally friendly options, such as R-410A.

5. Can I replace the refrigerant in my heat pump with a more environmentally friendly option?

It is possible to replace the refrigerant in your heat pump with a more environmentally friendly option, but it is important to consult a professional before doing so. The new refrigerant may require different components and adjustments to the system, so it is best to have a trained technician handle the replacement.