Question about Riemann Surface Problem

In summary: The function is multivalued, with two branches that can be visualized using the mapping r^(3/2) e^(i*3*θ/2). In summary, the function f(z) = z^(3/2) has two branch points at z = 0 and z = ∞, a branch cut from 0 to ∞ in any direction, and a multivalued Riemann sheet structure with two branches.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

[tex] f(z)=z^\frac{3}{2} [/tex] find the branch points, branch cuts, and Riemann sheet structure.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I converted this to complex exponential form [tex] r^\frac{3}{2} e^\frac{i*3*\Theta}{2} [/tex] From here I mapped around a circle that was centered about the orgin. After cycling through 2 Pi I could see that z mapped into f(z) and wasn't at it's original point. So I concluded the branch points were at the origin and infinity (I think infinity is a branch point because z^-3/2 goes to 0 as z goes to infinity.

I think the cut can go from the origin to infinity in any direction.

The Riemann surfaces is giving me the most trouble. I keep going back and forth between this function being multivalued or not.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the given function, f(z) = z^(3/2), we can identify the branch points as z = 0 and z = ∞. This is because when z = 0, the function becomes undefined (division by zero) and when z = ∞, the function goes to infinity.

To find the branch cuts, we can look at the behavior of the function as we approach the branch points. As z approaches 0, the function becomes complex and has multiple values. Similarly, as z approaches ∞, the function also has multiple values. Therefore, we can draw a branch cut from 0 to ∞ in any direction, as you have suggested.

As for the Riemann sheet structure, it is important to note that the function f(z) = z^(3/2) is not single-valued. This means that there are multiple values of z that map to the same value of f(z). This is known as a multivalued function. In this case, the function has two branches, with branch points at 0 and ∞.

To visualize the Riemann sheet structure, we can use the mapping you have suggested, f(z) = r^(3/2) e^(i*3*θ/2). As you have observed, when we cycle through 2π, the point z maps back to itself, but the value of f(z) changes. This is because we are moving from one branch to the other.

To summarize, the Riemann sheet structure for f(z) = z^(3/2) has two branches, with branch points at 0 and ∞, and a branch cut from 0 to ∞ in any direction.

1. What is a Riemann surface?

A Riemann surface is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of a complex plane to higher dimensions. It is a two-dimensional manifold that locally resembles the complex plane and allows for the analytic continuation of complex functions.

2. What is the Riemann surface problem?

The Riemann surface problem is a famous mathematical conjecture proposed by Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It states that every simply connected open subset of the complex plane can be represented as a Riemann surface.

3. Why is the Riemann surface problem important?

The Riemann surface problem has significant implications in various areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, algebraic geometry, and topology. Its solution would also have a profound impact on our understanding of the complex plane and its functions.

4. Has the Riemann surface problem been solved?

No, the Riemann surface problem is still an open problem in mathematics. Many mathematicians have attempted to solve it, but a complete and satisfactory solution has not yet been found.

5. Are there any known results or progress on the Riemann surface problem?

Yes, there have been some partial results and progress made towards solving the Riemann surface problem. For example, in 1984, Simon Donaldson proved a significant result known as the Donaldson theorem, which provides a partial solution to the problem. However, the complete solution is still elusive.