Question about second-order partial derivatives

In summary, the student is trying to work out d2V/dx2 and the other derivatives, but is having difficulty. They believe the issue is that they do not know how to work out d2V/dx2. They ask for help and are given a formula for d/du(f(u)) which always equals 1. Lastly, they are told that f(u)=u=y/x and that this is a common mistake.
cluivee

Homework Statement

If V=xf(u) and u=y/x, show that

x^2.d2V/dx2 + 2xy.d2V/dxdy + y^2.d2V/dy2= 0

(This a partial differentiation problem so all the d's are curly d's)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to work out d2V/dx2 and the other derivatives, then multiply them by x^2 or 2xy or whatever is in front of them and then add them all together, but the answer I get is not 0.

I think the issue is I don't know how to work out d2V/dx2

to work out d2V/dx2 I am trying d/dx (dV/du . du/dx). But it does not seem to work

Any help would be appreciated
thanks
cluivee

Physics news on Phys.org
cluivee said:

Homework Statement

If V=xf(u) and u=y/x, show that

x^2.d2V/dx2 + 2xy.d2V/dxdy + y^2.d2V/dy2= 0

(This a partial differentiation problem so all the d's are curly d's)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to work out d2V/dx2 and the other derivatives, then multiply them by x^2 or 2xy or whatever is in front of them and then add them all together, but the answer I get is not 0.

I think the issue is I don't know how to work out d2V/dx2

to work out d2V/dx2 I am trying d/dx (dV/du . du/dx). But it does not seem to work

Any help would be appreciated
thanks
cluivee
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You are correct in saying that (chain rule)

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(u) = \frac{\partial}{\partial u} f(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\;.[/tex]

However, you need to be careful here since [itex]V(u)=xf(u)[/itex]. Therefore,

[tex]\begin{aligned}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} V(u) & = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} xf(u) \\ &= f(u) + x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(u) \\ & = f(u) + x \frac{\partial}{\partial u} f(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\;.\end{aligned}[/tex]

Do you follow?

I think so, but I need a bit of clarification, I've seen you've used the product rule to get

=f(u)+x∂∂xf(u)
=f(u)+x∂∂uf(u)∂u∂x.

but f(u)= u = y/x right? I know that may be a dumb question.

Then d/du(f(u)) = 1 always? And du/dx = -y/x^2?

Thanks for your help though Hootenanny

cluivee said:
I think so, but I need a bit of clarification, I've seen you've used the product rule to get

=f(u)+x∂∂xf(u)
=f(u)+x∂∂uf(u)∂u∂x.

but f(u)= u = y/x right? I know that may be a dumb question.

Then d/du(f(u)) = 1 always? And du/dx = -y/x^2?
Why is [itex]f(u)=u[/itex]?
cluivee said:
Thanks for your help though Hootenanny
No problem :smile:

Related to Question about second-order partial derivatives

1. What is a second-order partial derivative?

A second-order partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe how a function changes with respect to two of its independent variables. It measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, taking into account the effects of both variables on the function.

2. How is a second-order partial derivative calculated?

A second-order partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative with respect to the second independent variable. This can be done by treating the first derivative as a function and using the same rules of differentiation as with single-variable functions.

3. What is the difference between a second-order partial derivative and a second derivative?

A second-order partial derivative is a type of second derivative, but it specifically refers to the rate of change of a function with respect to two independent variables. A general second derivative refers to the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable.

4. How is a second-order partial derivative used in real-world applications?

Second-order partial derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. They are particularly useful in describing and predicting the behavior of complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow or population dynamics.

5. Can a second-order partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a second-order partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in a specific direction. However, the sign of a second-order partial derivative alone does not determine the overall behavior of a function, as other factors such as higher-order derivatives and boundary conditions must also be considered.