Question about self-study of SR

In summary, the three other books that the author suggests are Spacetime Physics by Wheeler and Taylor, Introduction to Special Relativity by B.M.Rindler, and Theoretical Physics by P.A.M. Dirac.
Jianphys17
Hi, I was wondering, as in the Bachelor's degree curriculum there is no SR course, for one who is interested in theoretical physics (as me), would do it alone, perhaps with texts such as Rindler or Synge ...?

Thank you in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Jianphys17 said:
Hi, I was wondering, as in the Bachelor's degree curriculum there is no SR course, for one who is interested in theoretical physics (as me), would do it alone, perhaps with texts such as Rindler or Synge ...?

Thank you in advance !

What stage of your education have you reached? I can't believe there is a university physics course without SR. It's fundamental.

There are a number of books on SR that aim to teach it for independent study. I like:

Special Relativity by TM Helliwell

Likes Demystifier
In Germany, special relativity is part of the theory lectures. Here in Frankfurt it's usually introduced at the end of the 1st semester and continued in the 2nd semester. The lectures include Theory 1 (Mathematical methods, "naive" mechanics) and Theory 2 ("Analytical" mechanics).

Yes, there is, in Em course 2th year, but is very short and almost a historical path..

Jianphys17 said:
Yes, there is, in Em course 2th year, but is very short and almost a historical path..
Which university are you going to?

I' am Italian, at Rome

Jianphys17 said:
I' am Italian, at Rome
La Sapienza? It is a very good university, including the physics department.

If you know the basic calculations of SR, then I would highly recommend Spacetime Physics by Wheeler and Taylor

You got two recommendations. You want to ignore them and buy one of three other books. What, then, is the point of our making recommendations?

What is the best for a complete self-study ?

1. How can self-study of SR benefit me?

Self-study of SR, or self-reflection, can benefit you in a variety of ways. It allows you to gain a better understanding of yourself, your thoughts, and your actions. It can also help you identify areas for personal growth and improvement, and can lead to increased self-awareness and self-confidence.

2. What are some effective techniques for self-study of SR?

There are many different techniques that can be used for self-study of SR. Some common ones include journaling, meditation, mindfulness practices, and seeking feedback from others. It's important to find a technique that works best for you and your specific goals.

3. How often should I engage in self-study of SR?

The frequency of self-study of SR can vary from person to person. Some may find it beneficial to engage in daily reflection, while others may prefer to do it weekly or even monthly. It's important to find a balance that works for you and your schedule.

4. Is self-study of SR only for personal growth or can it also benefit my professional life?

Self-study of SR can benefit both your personal and professional life. By gaining a better understanding of yourself, you can become a more effective leader, communicator, and team member. It can also help you identify areas for improvement in your professional skills and relationships.

5. Can self-study of SR help with decision-making?

Yes, self-study of SR can be a useful tool for decision-making. By reflecting on your thoughts and values, you can gain clarity and perspective on different options. It can also help you identify any biases or patterns in your decision-making process, allowing you to make more informed and thoughtful choices.